Friday, June 24, 2011

Shoes

Do you remember me talking about those lame analogies that I had scribbled all over my scriptures? My head is full of them. Ways to understand life by looking at the mundane things right in front of our face. Sometimes I share these analogies with other people. Sometimes they stare blankly at me, probably questioning why they started talking to me in the first place. And sometimes, I regret sharing them.

Today is not one of those times. I'm going to share a life analogy with you. Get excited.

I've decided that life is very much like a series of Rainbow Sandals. Have you ever owned a pair? They start out stiff and flat. The leather is soft but the straps are unforgiving. You shove your feet into them and immediately you are uncomfortable. Everything about the sandal is foreign and different and your feet scream for other shoes, any other shoes. The one kicker is that you know once the shoes are broken in, they are incredible, you just have to get there. So everyday you wear the shoes. Everyday they are stiff, and everyday you wonder "Why do I even bother?" Then one day, out of nowhere the shoes fit, and they feel wonderful. The leather is pliable and has formed around every single groove, dip, and angle that your feet produce. They fit so nicely on your feet that you forget you even have shoes on. Other times you wear them because they are more comfortable than just having bare feet. At least that has been my experience. Unfortunately, shoes don't last forever and eventually you have to get a new pair, and you have to go through the same process.


How does this relate to life, you ask? From the view point in my mind, life is an ever changing untamed beast that throws curve-balls at you when you least expect it. Trials, difficulties, and patches in life that are less than desirable. We all have them, ranging on a scale from minuscule to the seemingly insurmountable. When these times come up, it's like a fresh pair of Rainbows. Like you're chartering new unchartered territory. Everything feels foreign. But everyday you get up and live your life and you dig your darn toes into those stupid sandals and you move forward. You drag your throbbing painful feet through every hour of everyday, and you wonder when the light at the end of the tunnel will come, if your life will ever be the same. Then one day, without you realizing it, you're comfortable again. Where life makes sense, where you can live with those new sandals on and completely forget that they are different. Even if it is different, its still good and comfortable, and you like your new life.

And when you're just comfortable enough, your sandals wear out and it's time for a new pair. But this time you know to dig your toes in hard, because in the end, it will be great.

Day 18: Shoes

2 comments:

Ashby said...

My most favorite analogy of yours to date. Have I mentioned yet how much I love reading these daily blogs?! I may have to take on this 30 day photo challenge!

erika herman said...

I am at the beginning of a new pair right now and I was thinking of throwing in the towel and just sticking to the pair I have been wearing, sweat, discoloration and all. You have given me the courage to press forward. (I really am talking about my Rainbows, btw.) :)