Friday, June 10, 2011

It's Party Time

Did I say party? I meant potty. It's potty time.

Recently Grace has shown a serious interest in all things toilet related. She is very inquisitive about it all and privacy, apparently, has become a lost concept for her. I'm not quite ready to dive into potty training Grace. There is a vacation on the horizon and in my mind vacays and potty training don't mix (at least for now). But with all of the shirt tugging and diaper removing and "Up! Up!" from my child who desperately wants to sit diaper-less on the toilet, I can't deny that its right around the corner.

The mere discussion of the topic in a public forum makes me cringe a little. Before I had kids I SWORE up and down, left and right, near and far, that I would never say "You want to go pee pee in the potty" to my children. The phrase rubbed me so wrong when parents would say it to their kids. I thought "There are much better ways to say that." Potty related talk and I weren't really on the same page. But, as with most things with parenting, how you think you're going to do something and how you actually end up doing it tends to be completely different. Case and point, in the last couple of weeks I have said "Let's go pee pee in the potty" so many times that I've lost count. "You want to sit on the potty," "Look Mommy is on the potty." You get the point. I am no longer a "Potty Talk" virgin, thats for dang sure.

We ventured over to the store to pick out a potty. I read somewhere that you should include your child in the Potty Picking Out Process as it will make them feel more involved. "Okay Gracie, here are all the potties." (Blank stare). I located the cheapest potties. and narrowed it down to one that looked like a frog and one that looked like a step stool that would totally leak. "Gracie which one do you want?" (Even Blanker Stare). She obviously could have cared less and I felt stupid trying to make her choose one or the other, so I threw the frog one in the cart, grabbed the Dora cup that Grace really wanted, and headed home.

It hangs out around the house and is more of an accessory that Grace likes to sit on (sans diaper) every now and then. She's never done anything on it, although she checks enough times that it makes you think she knows what she is doing (she does not). I've posed the question to my sister and a few Mom friends, just to see how they did it (I love that everyone has a different method, but all have been successful). When I get enough guts to take on the challenge, I'll go for it. For now, I'm content to house our green little friend until the time is right.

Day 4: Something Green.

8 comments:

Shannon said...

ha ha! "potty talk virgin". I love it. you crack me up. good luck with it all...I'm sure things will (dare I say it?) come out just fine. (I'm chuckling at this ridiculous little pun right now....)

Gooch Family said...

Ooo potty training. I tried to avoid it too with vacations with Bella but there was no denying she was ready so I dove in. She was only 19 months, but she was ready. So get ready! What worked best for us was picking a week, letting her go pantless, and staying home for the most part that week. If I had to go out, I asked her a million times (even though the best is to just take her b/c she may say no either way at first). Fun times, but girls are easier than boys I hear. Gaines isn't even close and I don't really plan until he is about 3, ha. Thats what I hear anyway :)

Diana said...

I am loving your photo challenge, good job!!! Potty training for us still hasn't happened although we do have the frog in pink. Ella has sat on it a bajillion times and we have yet to see any pee pee in her potty. Haha, I love it!

Unknown said...

Kara you are hilarious!
I'd say when you totally start potty training to buy the potty seats that sit on the tiolet... I don't know about you but I don't enjoy cleaning out the little toilets. Good luck!

Mema of 5 said...

You know we have the EXACT same green frog potty. We could easily take it to the beach for Miss Grace. And, since we are staying in the same beach house we stayed in when Taylor was potty training he can show Grace how to pee off the deck. Oh, wait, she doesn't have the right equipment. But, she will have plenty of girl cousins to demonstrate how to pee pee in the potty.

Two Drty Lil' Hands said...

hehe-so cute! Con and her are so much a like-it's so cute! He shows interest everything Zach goes-he insist taking his diaper off and sitting on the toilet-so far he has peed and pooped! But he is not at all ready, it was totally just a "I want to be like big brother" moment! I won't actually try to potty train him for a while-although being the second I think and hope he will be much easier that Zach!

Russ said...

We have the same potty! I always said we would never have a separate potty because the whole point of potty training is to stop cleaning the pee/poop not just to scoop it out of something else but I lost that argument :(

Cherie (and sometimes Senor) said...

I've heard over and over the whole nude for a week, timer set for every 10 min, chug water deal and I'm thinking that might be in our future. We were recently on vacay with another little 2.5 yr girl who relieved herself in style on a squishy little purple deal that sat on the toilet seat. CL was FASCINATED. I started just randomly sitting her up on the throne and saying, "Can you make some pee pee?" (I'm totally with you by the by on the whole tee-tee, pee-pee talk...NEVER was for it, until now. gish, the things being a mother will do to you). Anyways...she has actually PEE'D in the toilet about 6 times in the last week! I'm shocked and still totally dragging my feet on the training. She might end up teaching herself b/c I'm just not sure I'm ready to go there. Much less before #2 shows up. Can you say regression?! ugh. I'll be curious to hear how it goes!!