Monday, June 27, 2011

Dance as if No One is Watching

I could have gotten up this morning when my alarm went off at six. But I silenced the alarm, grabbed the covers all tight-like around my face and convinced myself that getting up would be a big mistake. Considering the fact that I was having an inner monologue about how waking up would effect the rest of my day should be proof enough that I was more than capable of getting out of bed to go running. But I didn't.

I dragged my feet the rest of the day, coming up with other things to do, or places to be. Everything fell nicely in my way "preventing" me from getting it done.

As Grace napped, and after I had looked at facebook, gmail, and google reader no less than 10,000 times, I dragged my feet into my room and changed into my gym clothes. A little at home strength training was my default. This time it wasn't something Justin Bieber could talk me into. I put my ear-buds in and scrolled through my music. Before I began my lunges, or squats, or whatever it was that I was going to do, a song came on and I got the itch to dance. Not regular dancing, no side steps with occasional snaps and twirls, but real intense I-am-one-with-the-rhythm kind of dancing. And I went with it. I flailed my arms and swung my hips and ran through my apartment like I was in the middle of a Music video airing on MTV. I felt like the Star Wars kid. Passionate, into it, and loving every second of it. I sang into the mirror, I bounced, high-kicked, and showed all of my imaginary fans that I still had it after all these years.

I felt so incredibly free. I owned every move and honestly thought I that I wouldn't be embarrassed even if someone walked in and saw me. It was that fun. And the best part? My heart was racing and the sweat was dripping. I got a workout and didn't even notice.

Day 21: Faceless Self-Portrait
Anyone in for a dance party at my place?

3 comments:

Mema of 5 said...

You got some serious air, girl.

Angela and Mike said...

You rock girl. I wish we lived closer. We'd have so much fun together.

Kelly said...

Please tell me it was Britney Spears, 'Til the World Ends. Or any Britney, Christina, Katy or Kelly song. And if it wasn't any of those who was it I need to dance right now!