Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fatherhood

Like every Father's Day Sunday, I heard the classic Father's day song that all of the little kids sing at church. "I'm so glad when Daddy comes home, glad as I can be..." And every night I witness the lyrics of the song first hand. Moments that Grace gets to spend with Aaron are few and far between during the weekdays and although she is still very young, I know that Grace looks forward to and cherishes those small moments.

I tell Aaron to call when he gets close to home so that Grace can wait for him on our balcony, like Juliet waiting for Romeo.

And when she sees him she reaches her arms out, as if the distance from the ground to our third level apartment were only an arms length away. As he climbs the stairs we run to the front door and she books it Olympic sprinter like out the doors and into his arms. She says his name repeatedly "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy," as if assuring herself that he is there, that it truly is him, and he is home to stay.

Aaron is an incredible Father. His transition into fatherhood was flawless, as if he read the manual beforehand. He is always there to calm my fears and tell me that everything is alright. He reassures me of my abilities as a mother when I doubt myself. He holds Grace close and wipes the tears out of her eyes and whispers into her ears "I love you Buggie." She is lucky, and she knows it, and there is nothing more that I could ask for.

Day 15: Silhouette

5 comments:

Diana said...

Love, love, love these pictures! Good job k!

CarrieM said...

lovely photos.

Rebecca said...

love it!

Allison Barker said...

I LOVVVEEE the last picture Kara-- so sweet. You are getting so good!

Bill said...

Great photos! You almost didn't need to write anything; the pictures are so descriptive and preciouos.