Monday, January 9, 2012

Busy Season

'Tis the season. Busy season. Most accountants and accounting spouses know what I'm talking about, but if you don't fall under either of those categories I'll shed some light. Busy season is exactly as it sounds. I'm sure all professions have them during the year. For accountants, tax and audit specifically, it is a time that normally falls (yet is not limited to) the first few months of the year. With looming hard deadlines hours are normally early morning to the wee hours of the next morning, seven days out of the week.

This is the start of Aaron's fourth year so we are no strangers to busy season. It is something that is inevitable, and despite the insanity of it all, is quite doable. A wise person once told me that when your husband works a lot you learn to live without him until he comes back. So that became my mantra. I tell myself that at the beginning of each busy season and find myself in the middle of things without any complaints.

But the beginning of busy season? It's a hard transition. It's hard going from Christmas break with a husband around all the time to busy season when you start to forget what he looks like. I blame my hormones, or the government, or Enron (remember them?) for causing my severe neediness this go around. But we're one week in and I miss my husband. I know it will get easier. But right now I'm needy. Poor Aaron is having to deal with a boat load of text messages from me throughout the day.

"Grace fought her nap for 2 hours. When she finally woke up she had no pants on, peed everywhere, and somehow managed to get her baby doll's bib on."
 "But she sure cleans up nice."
 "Bubbles in the bath tub. This girl is in heaven."
 "Lunch time. Wish you were here to eat with us."
 "Stickers!"
 "Grace says: Good Morning Dada!"
 "Grace is starting to make fashion statements. This bib has become a serious fashion accessory."

I guess it's my way of staying connected when it feels like we're constantly apart. Last time he was away this much I basically lived at my sister's house. Now that she is gone I have to cowboy up and just deal with it. I know the texts will get fewer and farther between as Grace and I fill our days with playdates, activities, and responsibilities. But until then, I'll cling to as much of Aaron as I can. (You don't mind, right hun?)

8 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

Okay, I'm cracking up at the bib. Grace is hysterical. I need some Grace around here to crack me up. Good luck with busy season...lame.

erika herman said...

It sucks having a husband who is gone all the time. I feel for you. Good luck!

Oh, and I think the bib compliments the over-sized flip-flops perfectly.

Unknown said...

Ugh, that sounds miserable. Does busy season literally last through tax day? That is a long time to go husband-less. I feel for you!
Grace is getting so big. I love those gorgeous waves in her hair!

Kid's Kitchen said...

wish we lived closer...d is working until 1am tonight and just informed he will be working late the next 14 days!!! I HATE BUSY SEASON...but I know he hates it just as much. My biggest complaint is...where is the overtime $$$??? Love your post. WE CAN DO IT! xoxo

Jodie said...

Bryan started school this week, so we should totally hang out! Grace is too funny!

Rebecca said...

My husband has 2 busy seasons: marching band season (august through november) and festival season (feb and march), and the only way to really get to see him then is to just show up at his work with fast food dinnerfor and the baby (which we did all of marching band season). You can do it! *hug*

Anonymous said...

You guys are always welcome to hang out with us!!! : ) Breena would love it, and me too!

Jessica said...

Oh man I know!!! Busy season is so brutal!! Last year Eric's client was almost 2 hours away so he would leave monday morning and come back friday evening. It was the worst! (Although the Hilton points were nice :P). We can do it!!! You need to find a good show on netflix with several seasons and get yourself a good crochet project or something. But you're right, once busy season hits I pretty much tell myself, and everyone else, that I'll be a single mom till mid-march (or from sept-thanksgiving in the fall). If I don't plan on him being there to help I can cope better. Good thing we get vacation because as soon as it ends we're outta here for a couple days!! :P