Monday, October 31, 2011

Sick of Halloween Yet?

Aaron, Grace, and I might have OD'ed a little on the October and Halloween spirit. We have eaten almost everything pumpkin flavored on the planet: pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin waffles, pumpkin bread, pumpkin spice chocolate chip cookies, and we made a valiant attempt to eat pumpkin pie. Over the course of this month I have somehow accumulated 5 pumpkins. Yes, five of them. I really am not sure how they got here. Grace and I went to two different pumpkin patches, and Grace went trick (or trunk) or treating three different times. She has a target bag full of candy. In my head I have about 5 different Halloween related posts written (do you ever write blog posts in your head?) but deep down inside I know I have over done the Halloween thing and I just want to move on. So, without further ado, the last and final Halloween blog post.

This was the first real time that Grace has gone trick or treating, although this would be her third year celebrating the holiday. This year, however, she could walk and talk on her own and we felt like she would be up for the challenge. We possied up and went with a group of friends.

The Ladybug, Jessie and Woody from Toy Story, and two Tinkerbell fairies.
I was extremely excited that Aaron got off work in time to come with us. We were quite the sight going door to door, but having the adults there made for awesome conversation and extra hands to corral. Perfection.
I gave Grace the room to go up to the door and say trick-or-treat without me prodding or whispering into her ear. At least this was my original thought. She walks up to the very first house. Doorbell rings. Door gets opened. Grace is the first one out of the gate (can you see her?). I hear her mention something about candy, digs her hand in the bowl before it is actually offered, and then proceeds to walk inside this persons house. I ditch my camera and run inside after her as I am apologizing over and over to this woman while my 2 year old is breaking and entering. Grace gets super annoyed that I'm pulling her out of this house, but I finally get her out. Next door, I'm standing right next to her. So much for not helicopter parenting.
I think she eventually got the hang of it, and enjoyed walking up and saying Trick or Treat, knowing that candy would be involved. She now asks to eat candy about 47 times a day, thank you for that Halloween. After a few meltdowns, one last door, and one lollipop, we headed home and kissed our little ladybug goodnight.
Halloween 2011, you were quite wonderful. Thanks for a great year. 

But now, you are over, and its time to move on.

Happy Halloween!

2 comments:

breadncheeseplease.com said...

Seriously Lucas and Grace are two peas in a pod! He ran into every house!! The door would open, he would get his candy and make a run for it! Hilarious!

I am a little sick of Halloween... and once they are in school we will have parades and class parties on top of everything else. Crazy! Grace is the cutest ladybug I've ever seen though :)

Lynsey said...

That was so much fun! I'm glad we all got to experience this together. Grace was an adorable ladybug.