Thursday, November 3, 2011

Resist the Urge

Please don't take this title to mean "resist the urge to eat Halloween Candy," because on that front resistance is futile and I have already made quick work of Grace's candy. She's so lucky to have me.

Lately, I've been resisting the urge to jump on the Christmas Festiveness bandwagon. Usually this resistance is rock solid. I was once a person that stood on her soap box and boycotted Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving. No music, no decor, not even a plan for the Christmas card. I felt like Thanksgiving deserved it's time in the spotlight and Christmas didn't need to steal that away. It's quite odd the things that I care about sometimes.

But this year, oh boy, this year is a different story. I got my Christmas present early from my parents this year. A gorgeous white iPhone. And it began, the slippery descent into Christmas spirit. Aaron told me he was going to surprise me with a new app for my phone. I literally squealed like a small child when I saw that it was a Christmas Countdown App. What was happening to me? I check the countdown constantly. It doesn't help that I set it up to play Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas Is You," which is my all time favorite Christmas song. Sometimes I just click on it to hear the song. 
If that wasn't enough, Target started setting out their Christmas merchandise. I found myself swooning and taking pictures before I even realized what was happening.
I headed in there this morning to get Grace a hat and gloves and before we even made it to the children's clothing section we spent a good 30 minutes slowly walking up and down the Christmas aisles. I would reach my hand out to touch or look at a price tag, ever so gingerly, and be yelled at by Grace "Mom, no touch it." At least she remembers what I tell her, right? I was moments away from frolicking in slow motion down those aisles. Twirling, laughing, watching fake snow fall as Grace and I had a snowball fight. It's bad, we're not even close to Thanksgiving.

Do I dare mention the fact that I love that Walmart is playing Christmas music? I couldn't stop smiling when I was grocery shopping the other day.

I am slipping, and fading, and desperately trying to resist the Christmas urge. But I think I'm failing.

7 comments:

Ashby said...

Don't resist the urge! We've already started the Christmas music here, and you know we have our whole house decorated before the family arrives for Thanksgiving. It's tradition. And I LOVE it that way.

Think of Thanksgiving as the beginning of the Christmas season. A way to be thankful for everything before jumping headlong into the gift giving craziness.

Ashley said...

It's sooo tempting! I am trying so hard to enjoy the calmness of November because I want Christmas to stay exciting to me all through December. I am letting myself do Christmas shopping and Christmas cards though--a head start on those can only help! Also, I need Gracie to come along on all my Target spending sprees!

Kurt and Ash said...

can grace come shopping with me at target? i spend WAY too much there and need a little voice telling me "no!"

Julie Markham said...

What you need is a 50-day Advent Calendar!

DoubravaFam said...

Pretty good failure if you ask me!!! Go ahead and do it--I think it will make Thanksgiving more magical too :)

Jack's Mama said...

They are opening a Cafe Rio down the street from me in Falls Church--Merry Christmas to NOVA! Right by the Target in Falls Church too how convienent. Now I've never tried Cafe Rio but I understand it is popular among mommy bloggers, can't wait to try it! By the way I meant to comment on your sleep post a while back, I have such a hard time falling asleep, it doesn't help that Gabe doesnt get home until 1130. It is actually why I stopped blogging months ago because I was staying up too late to blog! I'm trying to get back into it though

McKenzie said...

Buahahahah. I TOTALLY thought "Resist the Urge to Eat Halloween Candy" and THOUGHT that was what your post would be about. LOVE it. And PS, ME TOO! LOVE CHRISTMAS (maybe it's the having a kid thing). :)