Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Boom Goes the Dynamite

Aaron had called me last night on his way home from work. We were in the midst of a serious conversation about Grace. Grace is a pretty awesome little gal, but is definitely capable of doing some not-so-awesome things. As we were talking I could see lightening flashing outside our windows. The thunder rolled in shortly thereafter. I paused briefly in my conversation with Aaron, "Is it raining there yet? It just started pouring here." The lightening seemed close and the thunder was loud. Suddenly I heard an extremely loud crack, so loud that my bones shook, and it seemed to happen right above my head. "Oh my gosh Aaron, that was so loud!" 30 seconds later alarms started going off in my apartment. "Aaron, do you here those? What is going on?!" I got off the phone with Aaron to check on Grace. The alarms went off sporadically for a minute or two. Through it all, amazingly, Grace remained asleep.

I could hear sirens outside and figured with the crazy storm that people might be getting in accidents thus summoning ambulances left and right. I was shocked to learn that the sirens whaled and came to a stop right outside of our apartment. The camera on my phone came in handy while performing more covert ops as I pretended I wasn't a nosing rubber-necker, when I totally was.
Aaron got home while the firemen were making their rounds through the building. It turns out the crack that I heard earlier was lightening hitting the roof. Alarms were going off all throughout our building.

While we were all safe, and most everything in our apartment was fine. Our modem, unfortunately, was our only casualty. No matter what we did, we couldn't get it to turn back on.

I'm posting this from the functioning internet at my sisters house. I see a long phone conversation with AT&T, a trip to best buy, and another modem set up in my near future.

We'll be out of commission for a little while. Dang it.

3 comments:

Diana said...

Crazy, I always think lightning is close and it ends up being a mile or two away, I can't imagine it on top of your building. Now you can say you were struck by lightning though, right?

Alicia said...

Oi...guess that's why they always tell you to unplug your computer entirely during a lighting storm, huh? Glad your building is okay!

Kyle and Melanie said...

Glad you are OK...pretty scary! But, I have to say that my favorite part of the whole post was your title. CLASSIC!