Monday, October 3, 2011

I Am Tired

My computer decided to give up the ghost.  While perusing the world wide web, my computer froze and my screen gradually got brighter and whiter. Thousands of different colored lines appeared and no matter how much I clicked or pressed or yelled at it, nothing changed. I shut 'er down, and re-booted her back up. Same thing. Tomorrow I will be taking it in for an appointment and hopefully some serious answers as to the lack of awesome that is coming from this situation.

In the meantime I'm clicking away on "Old Faithful." She is the first laptop that I have ever owned, brought into existence in 2004. My college roommates may remember my tiny blue dell notebook. She is alive and well even 7 years later. The same cannot be said of my barely 2 year old computer. Unfortunately, Old Faithful is not properly equipped with the most updated photos so this blog post will be photo-less.

This past week has been an exhausting one. Every so often the Universe decides to have a little fun and crams a lot of really stressful things into a 7 day time period. That was last week.

Thankfully General Conference, this weekend, was the perfect opportunity to rest and recuperate both body and mind. (This was not the case, however, for my poor computer.) I came away uplifted and edified and pretty jazzed about the Provo Tabernacle Temple, or the Temple-nacle.

Last night at 3:48am I heard a distant cry, one that got suddenly and profoundly louder and I was stripped from dream land into the dark and confusing world of reality. My brain wrapped around the sound and I tossed the covers off and and meandered into Grace's room. She no longer has a bumper in her crib as she had used the bumper to propel herself up and out one time. Unfortunately, the lack of bumper causes her pacifiers to fall out. If they fall out and she wants them, it wakes her up and she cries for them "Mommmmmmaaaaaaaaaa. I drop a BeeeeeeBeeeeeeeeessss!" Last night in my sleep induced stupor knew how to solve the problem before I even opened the door. As my eyes adjusted I saw the two culprits laying on the floor. I picked them up, handed them to Grace, said "It's time for sleeps," and headed out the door. My bed was calling my name, and boy did I ever want to answer that call. The door clicked shut and a screaming cry escaped from behind it. I stopped. "Mommmmaaa song! Singing!" Grace has become a recent bedtime lullaby convert, apparently 4:00am fell under this category as well. I turned around, went back into her room and scooped her up into my arms. I began to sing the song that my Mom used to sing to me: Bob Denver's "For Baby." "I'll walk in the rain by your side, I'll cling to the warmth of your tiny hand," The sound of my voice was awful, I questioned why Grace would want this curse brought to her ears, "I'll do anything to make you understand," I started to realize that this was the first time ever, in my entire life, that I woke up in the middle of the night and started singing, "I'll love you more than anybody can." My voice rasped and scratched through the rest lyrics but I could feel Grace's body slumping into my shoulder. I swooned as I soaked up such a rare cuddling moment. My first middle-of-the-night singing attempt, although un-professional, seemed to be just what she needed. With her pacifiers in hand she curled up and fell right to sleep. After a short walk back to my room, I found myself doing just the same.


Today wasn't the best day to come off of a 2 month "running retirement." But I couldn't quit my goal before I started it. I huffed and wheezed and said things like "Come on Kara, you can do this. Keep running." Who knew running one mile could kick your trash to the curb.

So today,  I am tired.

2 comments:

The Wilson Family said...

what a sweet and wonderful mommy!

Mema of 5 said...

This post made me cry. I loved your weaving the lyrics of the song into your story telling. Perhaps you can make a CD of your singing and play it for Miss Grace all night. All night singing!!!!