Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Things that were Once Mine

The "Duck"

I use quotations because it's not technically a duck, but a goose, although it looks like a duck. My Junior year of High School I was gifted a plastic "duck" statue thing. It was from a home decorating magazine and the duck came with a series of outfits. One outfit for all of the major holidays, as well as a few novelty outfits for fun, rain coat, hula girl, ballerina. I loved it. I dragged that duck everywhere. I took him to college and ensured his safe arrival through 6 different moves. Aaron asked me on multiple occasions to get rid of it, because it was "totally pointless." I couldn't part with it. I knew one day we were going to have kids and, when they were old enough, they would take notice and appreciate the duck for its complete awesomeness.  That day has arrived. The duck which was once a decoration in Grace's room is now her partner in crime.
She dresses him up, makes sure his always has his cowboy hat, and puts him down for naps. I take a certain amount of joy out of this situation. All of those moves, and years, and hopes that it would be worth it have finally paid of.
Clothing

When I was pregnant, my Mom sent me a package full of old outfits of mine from when I was a baby, that I could pass down to my little girl. On Sunday I dressed Grace up in one of those outfits. To be honest, I think it's still a rad little get-up. I have no idea how my mom kept such a delicate light pink outfit in mint condition. I guess after four kids you develop mad laundry abilities.

Aaron

Once upon a time he was just mine. I had him all to myself, and while I still have him, I now have to share him. Grace and Aaron are serious pals as I have mentioned before. They have a special bond and seem to understand each other on a different level.
He knows the right way to read books
The right way to play with stuffed animals
And the right way to snuggle
There is no way I can be selfish and keep him all to myself when he makes her so incredibly happy too. And I am more than happy to sit back and watch them play, and share, and giggle.

So, to Gracie, what once was mine can now be yours.

4 comments:

The Wilson Family said...

what a sweet and wonderful family...who we miss so so so much!

Mema of 5 said...

You forgot to tell everyone what the "duck's" name is so I will--Aflac! And, FYI, Grace is so dang cute!

Shannon said...

kara, that outfit is adorable. i remember this Aflac. So glad you're such a good sharer :)

Rachel N said...

Wow. So THAT made me cry! Haha, nice work. ;)