Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Long and Short of It

I'm not sure what my drive is with extremely long marathon posts, but here is another one.

In 2007 I was in a rut. I needed a change. With a desire to move forward and grow and change I decided to chop my hair off (and you all know much much I like haircuts) as an act of my new found direction in life.
 I booked an appointment and basically told my stylist to "go for it" and it was a done deal. New me.
I established a rule for myself with that experience. If my hair was so long that I would rather wear it in a ponytail than take the time to do it, then it was too long. Short hair forced me to style it everyday, basically, a no-pony-tail zone. I kept my hair short, and even survived a nightmare hair cutting experience, but by the time I was pregnant with Grace, 2 years later, I started to grow it out.
Three years of growing it out and my hair was long, very very long. I had almost achieved Mermaid Status with it. I had many a trim to cut off dead ends and to thin the bejeezies of out it, but I had done it. I even survived the heat wave with my hair. I was proud. But proud moments often falter when it takes 45 minutes to style that hair. Combined with a shower, make-up, and corralling a toddler I swore it took me 3 1/2 years from start to finish. I was batting at once a week, usually Sunday, where I would go through the effort of styling it. Jillian actually styled my hair when she visited, bless her soul.
But, enough was enough. I had reached my limit and drifted into the land of ponytails and no blow dryers. I took the plunge this afternoon and bid adieu to Mermaid Status.



14 comments:

Ashby said...

Holy cow! It looks really cute!!! But it makes me sad that we are no longer triplets with our long dark hair.

McKenzie said...

Love!!

Alicia said...

Looks great! I have tried short hair and can't pull it off but you look awesome!

Kinzie Sue said...

So cute! I love short hair, but I'm too lazy to actually do it everyday. Love your cut- you look beautiful as always!

Lindsey Walker said...

I am completely jealous of the "thin the bejeezies out of it" part. My hair is so thin on it's own and I dream of thick hair like yours. The short do is beautiful, but you would make anything look good. :)

Rachel N said...

It's SOOOO CUTE!!! Did you donate it??

DoubravaFam said...

It looks so good!!!

Allison Barker said...

It looks so good Kara! I love it!!

Unknown said...

woowoo! hot momma! I love the short hair (you look beautiful with long too).

Jenna Morrison Clark said...

DARLING! hottt mama!

Jamie said...

LOVE the new look!

Jenni said...

Looks good. Of course, I'm kind of partial to short hair. I have no plans to ever go back.

Shannon said...

Kara, I'm gone for a week and the whole world changes:

1. earthquake in D.C.
2. hurricane Irene
3. YOU CUT YOUR HAIR!!!!

It looks absolutely fabulous. But then again, what wouldn't on you? I love it, I hope you love it, too!

And seeing that pic of you and your preggo belly in your apartment in San Jose gave me a heart pang. I miss you.

Shannon said...

you have such a pretty profile Kara!