Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

There seems to be a painted nail trend going on. I thank pinterest for all of my knowledge concerning recent trends. People do crazy things with their nails these days. Leopard print, rainbow, glitter, maybe even all the pictures from a favorite childhood story meticulously painted on all 10 nails. Unfortunately for me they didn't have those bottles of nail polish at the place I went to the other day. The craziest it got was red with sparkles. It makes me think of Dorothy's Ruby Red slippers that she had to click three times while saying "There's no place like home," so she could get out of the land of Oz. 
All week long when I catch glimpses of my nails I think to myself, "What do I consider home? If I had to click my heals three time to get home, where would I land?" I have moved a lot in the past 5 years. Utah, California, Texas. My roots are deeply embedded in Virginia, where I grew up. Those tall green trees and gorgeous seasons make my heart swoon. Deep down in my soul I am a Virginian. But Virginia, in all its beauty and awesomeness isn't home anymore either. I couldn't define 'home' for the longest time. Tonight I was away at a Cub Scout Pack meeting (Yes, I sported the Canary Yellow Scout Leader shirt, it was my yellow brick road to my ruby red nails). When I came home I was greeted at the door by my Gracie yelling "Momma, Momma!" I gave Aaron and kiss and Gracie led me by the hand to the couch so I could sit and snuggle with her. I finally had my answer. This was home. Being with Aaron and Grace. Sitting together. Loving each other. Soaking up the tiny moments of the every day together. The scenery can change and differ and be hot or cold, green or brown, but I will always be home when I'm with the ones that I love. So there is no need to click my heals and say goodbye's. I'm already home.

3 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

I totally have had the same feeling...where feels like home? VA...but then I go back and don't know anyone from the home ward...but my VA HOUSE feels like home. I also still kinda feel like a part of my heart is in Utah AND Nevada AND now Ohio. I never moved as a kid, so this whole moving and "home" thing is different to me. It's fun have people I love and care about in all parts of the country though!

Julie Markham said...

Home is where you want to be. And, I have to say I'm impressed you are working with the Cub Scouts. With the right attitude, it's a marvelous calling, but I only did it when I had my own little Cubs. Maybe Grace is good at tying knots.

Unknown said...

So true. As much as I love Virginia, I LOVE being with my hubby and kids even more. It's a blessing to have family, isn't it?
Cute hair! You look hot! Definitely in a non-Houston-heat kind of way.