Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Battle of the Mullet

Mullets. I talk about them on this blog almost as much as I talk about pig-tails. Since Day 1 I feel like I've been on the war path with Mullets. Born with a "Party in the Back" attitude, Grace has been plagued by the Mullet. 
It took me three months of business bald in the front, 1987 party in the back before I couldn't take it anymore and subjected Grace to her first haircut.
With trimmed locks, I thought "My work here is done." and we moved on. A new a beautiful even head of hair was just around the corner, or so I thought.
 The Mullet didn't give up. It laid low and struck around 18 months.
Bound and determined to show the 80s who was boss I wielded some scissors and took action. The results were exactly what I hoped and in an act of triumph I dusted my hands of the mullet. "Be gone, you are not welcome here!"
It was obvious that I didn't mind cutting my child's hair. I had no attachment to baby hairs, especially ones that grow at different rates. But, that was just my preference, and to be honest I think I was in the minority.

Recently, I have felt like Grace's hair was getting longer in the back. It started to look poofy and bulky. I kept telling myself that I would trim it and from that point on let her hair grow as it wanted. Some days I thought it looked fine. I would go back and forth.
Yesterday I felt like throwing caution to the wind. Why the heck not? I grabbed the hair cutting scissors that came with Aaron's buzzer thing, got Grace down to her diaper and started cutting her hair in the bathtub. My scissors hesitated before I made the first cut. It looked like a lot, I wasn't confident or completely sure. I took a deep breath and snipped. There was no turning back. I held the hair between my fingers, like all the hair dressers I'd ever seen cut my hair, and cut away. I slipped into some parallel universe of cutting hair where there were no regrets and no qualms about how much hair was being cut. I checked things out, fed Grace lunch, and put her down for a nap. I still felt good about everything. When she woke up, reality seeped in real slow and inside I began to panic. Her hair wasn't just trimmed a little, It. Was. Short. Really really truly short.
I reasoned with myself that it wasn't as bad as I thought. That now it would finally grow in the same length. The justifications were lame and totally useless. I had turned my little girl into a mini toddler-version of Justin Bieber and I knew it.
When I saw the above picture of her in the purple jammies the day before I cut her hair, I wanted to cry. Cry big crocodile tears. Her golden locks didn't look poofy or bulky or mullet-y, it looked cute, and adorable and girly. A huge mistake was made and I had no one to blame but myself. I laid awake for about 2 hours last night freaking out about it. What have I done? Although I wanted to hide everything and pretend that it never, ever, happened, maybe even tape some of the stray hair back on, I knew I couldn't. I'd post pictures of Grace, take her to church, and people would wonder, why on Earth did she do that. My response? Because I'm an idiot.

I officially announce this as my retirement from General in the Mullet Battle militia. I will not take another snip. She will just have to look like Rapunzel for the rest of her life.

As with everything, Grace remains un-phased and couldn't care less if she tried. Which makes me a little less mopey and down on the situation. For now, I'll wait for those little hairs to grow back.
In the meantime, please send happy hair growing thoughts to Texas. My sanity needs them.

18 comments:

Devrie Pettit said...

At least she has hair : )

Alicia said...

It's good to know that the battle of the mullet is a fruitless one. We have the same problem with our little Kara, and I'm beginning to wonder if she'll ever grow hair in the front.

Gooch Family said...

It will grow I promise, a lot of little girls hair grow like that, faster in the back than the front, but then it all eventually grows and you trim as it gets longer. She looks cute no matter what!

Ashby said...

LOL! A mini-toddler version of Justin Bieber. Best. Line. Ever.

Julie Markham said...

This is a darling girl with a chic haircut which no one can possibly notice because of her smile! Your career as a beautician, btw, is just beginning. I suspect professional $80 titanium scissors are in your future.

Shannon said...

Whatever, Kara! I LOVE that new little do on Gracie babe. She's such a cute girl, and I think it fits her perfectly. I LOVE her blonde little bob :). I think you did a fantastic job, and while you may think it's too short, it's the perfect summer cut. Also: I cannot believe how tiny she was! Those pics of her newborn baby mullet were so precious...I seriously can't believe she was so itty bitty tiny. She just bursts with personality and light and cuteness. When are you coming to visit me? I need a Grace girl squeeze!

The Wilson Family said...

I've dealt with this but with JJ. Luckily it WILL GROW and it will grow back! take a deep breath sick a diet dr. p and have fun with her. before you know it her long curly locks will be back :) and you can take lots more pics.

Rachel N said...

I think the cut is SUPER CUTE!! And perfect for summer. :)

McKenzie said...

Oh goodness. I love this post and I completely understand! Adrielle has had a mullet with what little hair she has. But, either way Grace is adorable. Simply adorable.

Momma Nielson said...

That child gets cuter by the minute:)

Angela and Mike said...

I have you to tell you, that I applaud your efforts in avoiding the mullets. I hate mullets and totally agree with the trimming to help avoid it! And, with her quick mullet-growing hair...that mullet will be back in no time :) She is still totally darling. At least it made for a great blog!

DoubravaFam said...

She still looks super cute!! Don't worry about it. I'm sure it will grow back really quickly--and I bet it will be nice for her to have it off her neck in your crazy TX heat!!

Erika said...

Gracie rocks the short hair. She is adorable either way! And as far as mullets are concerned, Britta is the queen. So, take consolation in that. :)

Kelly said...

Grace has beautiful hair! Go look at my profile picture on facebook that was up before my current one (that you said was cute, thank you!) There is a 2 year old little girl sitting on my shoulders. She has no hair. This is because he mother was an idiot... she put SUN-IN in her 20 month old daughters hair, because she had hear us Wardle girls say we'd done it. What she didn't realize was we did it when we were in high school and already had a full head of hair. Needless to say she tried to first dye it back, then ended up buzzing it. You're not the idiot. Grace is as darling as ever and you should start a child's hair cutting business.

Wendi said...

Don't worry--it does grow back quickly. It looks cute! Way longer than one time when I chopped Melody's hair. Poor Mel! I have no qualms (still, even after many failures) of being really daring with her hair!

Kyle and Melanie said...

As a professional, I think she looks BEAUTIFUL. I loved the last picture with the little bow in her hair. Grace couldn't look bad if she tried!!! And she get's that from you!!!

Rebecca said...

I think it's adorable!

Mary said...

So I've been scanning the internet trying to decide whether or not to cut my baby's hair BEFORE it gets to the nasty mullet stage. You did SUCH a good job! It looks so cute. Actually it looked cute before too. Props to you for doing something fun with you're little girl's hair (and for not thinking mullets on toddlers are cute).