Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What Goes Around Comes Around

A few weeks back I read a blog post written by one of my favorite people, Diana. I'd publish a link with her name but her awesome blog is privatized. Since you are unable to blog-stalk her (as I totally would) I'll give you a brief description. Diana and I met through our blogs while living in Provo. Our husbands were both offered jobs at the same office in California. We went on a double blind date to meet each other (and our husbands), and our friendship was born. Since meeting in Utah and hanging out in California, our paths have split and we find ourselves in different states. I place the blame on Diana, since she moved first. But, she had a good reason. Her daughter was a little over one when Diana learned that she was pregnant with twins. She would be having three babies under the age of two. She and her husband gave it some serious thought and decided they needed to be near family. They are now living a crazy, albeit totally awesome, life juggling three girls under three, a house, and a new job. Her blog is fascinating.

Now that you're familiar with Diana, onto the story. She posted about an incident that occurred with her 2 year old daughter. She walked in after nap time to find the room covered in, for lack of a better word, number two. She chronicled her horror and the cleaning process, and how ultimately it got her daughter to stop using a pacifier. As I read, I scrunched my nose and whispered under my breath "oh. my. gosh." and perhaps a few times I mentally dry heaved. I thought, "Poor Diana." and thanked my lucky stars that Grace hadn't done that.

Grace has recently entered the pants/diaper removal phase. A couple of days ago she removed her diaper  after she woke up and peed all over her bed and blanket. No big deal, thats what the washer is for, right? So the next day before her nap, I thought I would outsmart my Houdini child and put her in a onesie with snaps on the bottom. I mentally patted myself on the back because "there is no way she could get out of this." She chit chatted at the beginning of her nap, as per usual, and gradually fell silent. I assumed my little angel child was sleeping and went about my normal nap-time business. I heard more chit chat about half way through her nap. Never a good sign.

When I opened the door the smell hit me first, and then I saw it. Diaper on one side, child with open onesie on the other, and more brown than I had ever seen out in the open. I stopped dead in my tracks, my mouth gaped open and I stood there with my hands on my cheeks and my eyes darting everywhere trying to make sense of what I saw. I have no idea how long I stood there. It could have been 10 minutes, or an hour. When I came to, I walked out of the room and grabbed my phone. I dialed Aaron's number and when I heard his voice I said. "Aaron, it's everywhere. It's all over. Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. I don't know whether to laugh or cry." his response, "Then you should laugh." I plucked my number two covered child and put her in the bathtub. While I basically scrubbed the first layer of her skin off, I talked to her about how being curious and trying new things is fun and interesting, but that there are boundaries to what should be explored and what should be left well enough alone. I distinctly remember saying the phrase "Poop belongs in your diaper or the potty, it does not belong anywhere else."

I'll spare you the gory pictures and share with you just one. The same type of picture Diana shared when this happened to her. Thankfully my camera battery was dead and the phone camera picture quality isn't the best so you can't really see too much detail. I found her pacifier after moving her crib away from the wall, and threw it away shortly thereafter.

 I dried Grace off, got her a snack, plopped her high chair in front of a movie and cleaned my little heart out. Laundry was first.
And then scrubbing, wiping, bagging, spraying, magic eraser-ing, sanitizing, and everything just short of burning it in a bonfire.
I thought to myself, what comes around really does go around. And today out of sheer necessity I actually taped my child's diaper so the only way to get her out of it was to use scissors. I could not handle another poop filled day. Although potty training is filled with all sorts of this cleaning, I'm getting pretty close to kissing diapers goodbye.

8 comments:

The Chappells said...

oh my gosh. I think this was meant to make me feel better. Saylie did this a week ago. SO FOUL! I just wrapped everything in her sheets and threw them away. I not as good of a mom as you. I couldn't bring myself to put pooh in our washer and dryer. hahaha. i have more graphic pictures than you posted - so I COMPLETELY understand when I say I AM SO SORRY!!! but tell Grace thank you for making me feel better and forgive my girl a little bit.

Kristine Gray said...

Duck tape! We did this every night with Sarah for a while. She was not into fecal fascination(thank goodness) but would take off everything and then pee in her bed and wake up cold and wet in the middle of the night. The tape and safety pinning the zipper of her jammies solved the problem.

Jenni said...

My sister had a child with a diaper removal problem. One Sunday, just before leaving for church in the winter time, this child took off her diaper and pooped down the heating vent. My sister couldn't take care of it until after they got back from church. You can just imagine what the house smelled like after three hours with the heat going. Duct tape became her best friend.

Diana said...

I LOVE our getting to know you story...it gets me every time! When I read your title and then saw the first sentence with my name, I knew what this would be about. And I didn't even gag, just laughed, I guess that's what being a mom does to you, it's like it doesn't even phase me anymore. I am SO SORRY that it happened to you too. At least I had Ryan home to help me clean it all up. We duck taped for about 3 weeks and then Ella just got over it...thank goodness! (although she did take her diaper off about a week ago and it freaked me out a little, no repeat occurrences please!)

Mema of 5 said...

Bite the bullet and potty train her!

Mema of 5 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thompson Family said...

One word: Nasty. Hopefully it'll be a one time incident. =)
I have a story just like yours except that both boys were involved in "painting" with poop.

Ashby said...

SICK! I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. So nasty. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. So so sorry.