Monday, July 25, 2011

We're Not Brilliant, That's For Sure

It's two in the afternoon and I'm already sipping on my third Diet Dr. Pepper. I'm tired. So tired.

Aaron and I had the not so brilliant idea of purging our closest at 11:45 last night. I'm not sure what struck us in that moment, but we were motivated and wanting to work. We pulled shirts off of hangers, sweaters out of piles, and shoes covered in dust off of the floor. We joked about all the clothes that we had hung onto, clothes that were obviously out of style and were only cool when we were in high school. I finally parted with a skirt that I purchased in 2002, my sophomore year in high school. I even remember the day that I found it, tried it on, and bought it. The sales lady told me I could dress it up, or dress it down, and it was perfect for every occasion. I wore it a few times and through the years vowed to find something equally as awesome to go with the skirt. I never found anything, my almost 10 year mission had to come to an end, I hesitantly tossed it in the "donate" pile. We scrounged through drawers and more than once we both said "Oh, this was in here?"

Aaron had t-shirts and shorts from a phase where we tried to "change" his style in college. I almost laughed when he dug those up from the depths of our dresser.

We filled three trash bags up with clothes and shoes. While I enjoyed seeing my closest become more organized and de-cluttering my life, part of me was having a serious panic attack. I went all crazy "What-Not-to-Wear" on my closet and although the only stuff in there is what I actually wear, all of my back ups, and just-in-case outfits, and maybe-these-shoes-will-come-back-in-style kicks are gone. The screaming reality that my closest is almost bare only goes to prove that I need a wardrobe update and I need it fast.

And despite my head spinning last night. "Where to start? How much to budget? What is even in style anymore? When did I get so uncool?" I hit the pillow with full force around two a.m. and slept like I had a Masters degree in exhaustion.

Grace chose this morning to wake up an hour early. So the overuse of DDP was absolutely necessary. Now, does anyone want to take me shopping?

7 comments:

breadncheeseplease.com said...

I'll take you shopping... how does next week sound? Although, I am not sure I would call myself "fashionable" I wear what is easy to tote a toddler around in. Also know as "my uniform" or sweatpants as Andy refers to it. But I will still take you :)

Alicia said...

We are in the same boat. I desperately need an entirely new wardrobe, and it's not just want, it's need. Wade can hold of for a while longer since all he wears is scrubs and then after he graduates it'll be air force attire for 4 more years.

Rebecca said...

If you dress like a slob for a few days and videotape it, I would be happy to nominate you for "What Not to Wear". lol.

Shannon, your favorite cousin said...

love it. I remember the days when I used to go through your leftovers.. Next time you are out here let's go shopping!

The Chappells said...

kara- your blog reads my mind. I have moved the dumbest crap with us 4 times because then at least my closet won't look empty and I knew that as students I wasn't going to be replacing things with higher quality...now I just feel like I can cover my ugliness by dressing Saylie cute. hahaha super impressed with your resolve to get rid of it all! Maybe you can give me courage...and someone can brace Chris for the bill when I update my style.

Mema of 5 said...

What skirt did you get rid of? Maybe I wanted it:)

Jack's Mama said...

My sister's in laws buy a large amount of their clothes from The Loft, now I am too. I just bought a dress there then it was featured by 3 different celebrities wearing it in US weekly! The clothes are expensive but they will have really good sales often, there might be one going on now or it might be over. It s great place to buy good quality clothes. Sometimes i feel like I might be able to find the same stuff at Target, and I do like Target but I do find their clothes are not very good quality, so sometimes its worth it to spend a little more money on staple waredrobe pieces. Sometimes when I want to buy something a little bit more expensive I try to make sure it is a piece I can wear all year around. We are about to renovate too so I will be doing the same thing later this week! Have fun shopping!!