Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Currently

One of the life lessons that I feel like I'm always learning and relearning is to live in the moment. Soak up the tiny particles of the here and now because when they are over they are gone.

I remember a few days after Grace was born I wanted to hold her. She curled perfectly on my chest and I thought "Remember everything about this moment, because she'll get big before you know it." I still remember it. The way she rested so perfectly on my chest. Her slow and steady breathing, how my arms wrapped around her and held her, and how my lungs breathed in her new baby scent.


Now I am sitting in my living room. The TV screen is blue and a No Signal! sign is bouncing around declaring that I paused my movie and my energy saver DVD player turned off. I was watching "Letters to Juliet" my current favorite cheesy love story. My apartment smells like yeast and baking bread, Grace is quietly sleeping in her room, and the tumbler which held my DDP is now sitting empty on the coffee table. Something about this moment is so good. So calm. Sure I need to make my bed, do the dishes and call the maintenance guy to come and fix our slow-refilling toilet. But there will always be things like that on my To Do list. However, in this moment, I'm right here and right now and life is very very good.
Yes, those are bug bites on my foot, I got eaten alive in Virginia. Dang mosquitos.

2 comments:

Diana said...

I love this. Such a good reminder for me, thanks K!

Lindsey Walker said...

I know what you mean by living in the moment and soaking it up. I do that each and everyday with my baby Max. life couldn't get better! Being a mom is the best!