Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Always Remember, Never Forget

I took note of September 11th on the calendar and reminded myself to do something patriotic for today. I'm ashamed to say that in years past I have actually forgotten beforehand and treated it as any other day.

I remember in the days that followed 9/11 I told myself that I could never, and would never, forget that day. The thoughts, feelings, emotions, and sights that I took in and experienced are engrained in my mind. I could tell you when, where, and how I was at any given point that day. But years of change, and growth, and thousands of other thoughts and responsibilities have laid neatly over the top of those memories. And in years past I haven't dug down deep to find them, and give that day the remembrance and respect that it deserves.

But this year, I made sure it was different. Last night I laid in bed and told Aaron, "Tomorrow is September 11th, I'm going to dress us all up in red, white, and blue." Aaron said, "That's a really good idea." Mentally I already had everyone's outfits picked out.

Wearing patriotic colors is not the grandest of gestures, but it was symbolic for me in remembering what happened on this day 11 years ago.
It's crazy for me to think about these two beautiful little babes that weren't even here on that fateful day. I wonder if they will talk about it in school. Will it be in their history books? They have never known life without the day that America was attacked. I hope I can do it justice and make them truly understand the selfless sacrifice of those who fought to save others.
I'm sure they'll roll their eyes and think "My Mom is so old she was actually alive when 9/11 happened." But maybe, just maybe, they will learn to respect this day and to love this country the way I did 11 years ago.
To all of those in the military and the service men and women throughout the world, thank you so much for fighting for our country, and for allowing me to raise my kids in this wonderful, and free, nation.

God Bless the USA.

2 comments:

Mema of 5 said...

Fantastic post, Kara! I love CCB's blue eyes. Tell them to STAY blue!

Dyanna Stephens said...

OMG! Those pictures are beautiful! You're kids are so cute! Great way to honor 9/11