Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Out with the Old, In with the New

2010 is turning out to be a very interesting year, one full of changes and choices we never thought we would make.

First: In February our Comcast bill was going to jump from $66 a month, to $150 a month. This jump didn't fit into our newly revamped budget (another 2010 change), so we downgraded to basic cable and internet bringing our bill to $24 a month. I was fine without all the cable channels, I pretty much just watch the basic ones anyway. What we didn't realize at the time was that you don't get a box with basic cable. No box means no DVR. No DVR means no recording shows, no pausing live television, and no freedom to watch your shows whenever you want!

Its been tough...
I've had to change gears in order to keep up with "my shows." Instead of recording them I have to find them on the internet, which isn't too bad, but definitely not my favorite method. I've got a pretty sweet set up going on my coffee table though.
We're giving the no DVR and no Tivo thing a try for two months. So far, one month down...

Second: I never thought I would want/need a jogging stroller. I guess to be more honest, I never thought I could run longer that 15 seconds. I have since proved myself wrong and in borrowing my friends jogging stroller I learned that I enjoy running with a stroller. It was time to get my own. We used some gift card money and, because Aaron is using it too, we were able to get a sweet deal through his job. Out of pocket we spent about $3 (yes, you're seeing that right) to get this bad boy.
Thank you to everyone who gave us gift cards for Grace. This is what you got us, and its amazing. Grace is enjoying it too.
So all my thoughts of owning an umbrella stroller went out the window, and I'm now the Mom that owns the jogging stroller. I can honestly say that I never saw that one coming.

A few big decisions already and its only March. I'm interested to see how the rest of the year pans out. (I secretly hope it involves Tivo)

11 comments:

Shannon said...

The grieving t.v. picture cracked me up! Gotta love Hulu for internet t.v. shows (Ryan's co-workers found out we don't have cable/dish and they asked him, "how do you LIVE??? I thought that was a bit dramatic.)
I am PROUD of you for running and strolling and doing them at the same time! And I love how long and beautiful your hair is! Looking good, my friend.

Diana said...

When we switched to not having DVR, I about DIED. Once you get used to it, it's hard to not have it. But it's been 6 months now and I have just learned how to be really good at watching two shows at once, that way I at least don't have to watch commercials. And I think we're going to follow your lead in the stroller department. Which model do you have?

Angela and Mike said...

DVR is amazing...once you go DVR, you can never go back. haha. Best of luck to you!

HOORAY, another jogging stroller mom. Isn't it fun?

Love the pictures of you grieving over the TV. haha.

Rebecca Lowe said...

you holding your tv is hilarious! kara, i think we are a lot more alike than i ever realized before. what a shame we didn't get to know each other better back here in provo! i love reading your blog. you crack me up. by the way, i am the umbrella stroller mom -- and i hope to stay that way. but if it happened to you, it could happen to anyone. at least now i'm prepared.

Christine said...

I love the mourning of the TV, I would have done that myself-I hear that once you have DVR it is really hard to go back! But cable AND internet for $24 a month?! Is this still through Comcast? My family suffers with the local channels and want to get something better. Sure, right as I am finally moving out.

Tiffany said...

Way to go going without Tivo or DVR... once you have it, it's like impossible to go back. I don't know if I could do that! Cute jogging stroller!

The Gilberts said...

Phil and teds! We are getting one too, in a few more months-- how did you swing that sweet deal with the company? Its got that whole baby doubles feature so when your next ever comes, just hook up the attachment -- YES! so fabulous.

Jenni said...

Seriously. Just tell us when you want us to come over and Jared will get you on the free DVR via awesome Mac train.

Gooch Family said...

Oooo no DVR?! Hard to go w/o it I bet since you've already had it. I find myself hitting fast forward when its live tv,haha. And good choice on the Phil & Ted, perfect for 2! (Whenever that big decision comes :)

Mema of 5 said...

Okay, go to Miriam Lowe's blog and scroll down to "Family and Friends"; look for your name and then look at the title of the post for the blog above you. How random is that?

I love Grace in the stroller. The looks she gives the camera are hilarious.

Rachel said...

Wow, my deepest sympathies for your loss. Second, Grace looks adorable in that stroller. And third, you are that mom now, but at least you're not wearing mom jeans yet...