Friday, February 15, 2008

My FIRST Speeding Ticket

So the day of the 13th didn't start out so well for me. I went to class in the morning like usual, but i deviated from my normal path home. I decided to drive down University so that i could pick up Matt's birthday gift. I turned left away from the Marriott center and was driving past the chevron when i noticed a police car behind me. The lights weren't flashing so i assumed that it was just a cop on her way somewhere. I waited at the stop light and once it turned green and once i started moving, the cop started flashing the lights. My heart just about fell out of my body. She came up to my car and said that i was going a little fast. I asked how fast i was going and she said 45 in a 30 zone. She took my drivers license and my registration and as soon as she walked away i burst into tears. She came back to my car and told me that she was only putting me down for going 35 in a 30, which was really nice of her. For the next 2 hours i proceeded to bawl my eyes out. I'm emotional, can you tell? I called Aaron and bawled to him. I have only been pulled over once before, but the guy cop hit on me and only gave me a warning. Getting an actual ticket is scary.Ten days from now i have to go to this tiny box of a "courthouse" in Provo, pay for my ticket and sign up for driving school. If i go to driving school, which is free and is only an hour and a half session, then the ticket doesn't go on my insurance. This ticket has also turned me into a nazi about the speed limit. I now say things like "Whoa, i'm going the speed limit and this guy is tailgating me, HE should get pulled over."

4 comments:

Mema of 5 said...

I swear the Provo cops have NOTHING better to do. I'm so sorry! Getting a ticket is so upsetting. Sorry you have to go to traffic school. Boo.

Rachel said...

I'm a nazi about it too. I've gotten a couple tickets for really lame reasons (not speeding yet) and so when I see people around me who are REALLY doing the dangerous stuff I get mad that they've probably never gotten a ticket before when I am always careful NOT to break the law. Sheesh. So I feel you pain, sorry! At least driving school is just an hour and a half!

The Coons Family said...

you kiddding me?? 1 1/2 hours FREE driving school. When I got my first speeding ticket in high school I had to go to EIGHT WHOLE HOURS of driving school at the court house with two officers gaurding the door. If you got caught sleeping or doing anything buy listening they kicked you out AND it cost $300!! You got off easy!

Tiffany said...

I am so sorry! Tickets suck! Congrats on it being your first one though! Wow! I have had plently for my share! Jillian is right though, Utah traffic school is way easy. I went to one in california (8 hours... no sleep, no reading other material, etc) and to the one here in Provo. Provo is a piece of cake. They tell you you can read, do homework, whatever, you just have to be here. And they let us out early. I was only there for like, 45 minutes. So no worries... it's just paying that sucks!