Monday, February 25, 2008

D.C. or Bust


The other night Aaron and i were talking about what we were going to do over the summer. Aaron's main plan is to take the GMAT on the 14th of May, then spend the rest of the summer studying and taking the CPA exam. I had been looking on Craiglist for jobs that looked do-able and interesting. A degree in Sociology and a minor in family life pretty much prepares you for NOTHING in the work force. I started looking into medical related jobs that i might be able to do and i kept seeing a need for dental assistants. After more research i found out that dental assistants get paid very well but i would need to be trained and have a little experience under my belt. I figured that once i graduated i would start looking for a job here and beg and plead a dentist to train me (because i have no experience).

Also, Aaron and i have been having Provo Cabin Fever... if that makes any sense. No offense to Provo, but we're ready for something different. Anyway, I told Aaron that i was seriously considering being a dental assistant, and he gets this look on his face like he's thinking really hard and he says "Here's a crazy idea, why don't we go to D.C. so that your Dad can train you. We could go to a different place, i could still study and you would be able to get the experience that you need." After some deliberation (and a call to my parents to make sure this was even a possibility) we're excited to say that we will be moving to D.C. over the summer!!

We're planning on driving the Jetta out to Virginia the afternoon of the 15th (because Aaron is taking the GMAT the morning of the 14th) and we'll stay there until the middle of August. We'll drive back to Utah pack up the rest of our stuff and move to California at the end of August. Everything just fell into place really easily and Aaron and i feel really good about going!! So its D.C. or bust!

8 comments:

Chelsea said...

Kara! What about seven peaks? You must stay.... I mean, do you really want to have to look into other people's mouths? They might have bad breath, or even gingivitis! Just stay. Ill train you if I must.

Tiffany said...

I think that is the coolest idea ever! I am so jealous! I am definitly having Provo Cabin fever. I am a little tired of Provo and want to move back to California, or even just somewhere else out of utah! And DC! That is great! So I think it is way cool that you are doing that!

Russell, Aimee and Savannah said...

Ok so you know that I love you both and of course I am hapy because you are doing the right thing but I am totally depressed about this!!! AHHHHHH us four need to take a fun weekend trip before you leave. I just can't believe my best friends are leaving!! BOO HOO

Mema of 5 said...

You're driving?

Amanda said...

i'm not going to lie, the first think i thought was 'ew! mouths are gross!' but then i realized that i spend a good amount of time poking around in other orifices that are much worse. haha :)
i'm so excited that everything came together like that- i love it when that happens. chris & i are probably coming out to DC to see his sister & brother in law at some point this summer, so we'll have to meet up and do something!
ps.. i never see you and that makes me sad

Rachel said...

Ok so first of all, that's super exciting for you guys! Also, I think we really are secret twins because I have for the last year or so thought about doing dental assisting after school (since you're right, our majors don't do a whole lot for jobs...) and even doing a small program for it is only a month or two to learn it all. BUT, I am way bummed because this means I will NEVER see you again. Because we're both so busy right now that we never get to hang out and summer was supposed to be it! Remember, our photo class? Crimeny. Well, at least I have a sister who lives in Orange County and so maybe when we visit her we can meet up somewhere...except I guess you will still be sort of far from there...dang. I got it, we will make Disneyland dates!

Leandra said...

That's exciting... but sad!

I'll be here all alone (with Chelsea at Seven Peaks...)

What a better way to spend a summer.

Ashby said...

Mom and Stace told me on Sunday! I'm so excited! I can't wait!