Tuesday, April 12, 2011

One with Nature

The weather was gorgeous today. It fit all the "perfect weather" criteria. I was dying to be outside, which, if you know me, is a huge shock. But I had certain boundaries for being outside.

1. I didn't want to go to a playground. I'm kind of over the hovering around the play-structure awkwardly walking from side to side to make sure Grace doesn't fall and hurt herself.

2. I wanted something private. I feel like I'm on display sometimes when I go to a park with Grace and there are 1,000 other Moms with kids there. I also wasn't in the mood for small talk with other parents I didn't know who are hovering around their kids.

3.) I wanted enough grass to lay a blanket on.

As I ventured out with my odd list of qualifications, I told myself that the chances of me finding such a location with a limited knowledge of the area was going to be tough. A long drive (probably to my sister's house) was my back-up plan. I took random turns and wound up at a Nature Preserve/Sports Park. I meandered my way through the baseball fields, past the wooded nature path, and started winding through some soccer fields. There were about 10 fields surrounded my trees, a parking lot, and no one else in sight. I struck gold.

We picked a nice spot in the grass.

And set up shop.
This was my ideal "one with nature" experience. I felt free sitting on my blanket outside knowing that no one else was around, but it wasn't so nature-y that I had to worry about hiking, or snakes, or poison ivy. The grass was mowed for heaven's sake, how is that not the most perfect thing ever.

It was time that we could be outside soaking up the sun and give Grace the opportunity to run free.

Sun was desperately needed to try and remedy the odd tan line that my jogging pants have given me.

Grace loved every minute of being outside, and when you're at a soccer park bleachers are always a hit.

 Seriously though, the girl was in heaven. I loved watching her run around, search for things, and be a kid.

If you were curious about what Grace is holding in her hand, that would be a crumpled up piece of metal.

While Grace ran around with crumpled pieces of metal, I sat on our blanket and took in this view. Trees.

It made the Virginian in me so very happy.

It was the perfect nature experience.

5 comments:

Mema of 5 said...

Looks wonderful. Save some of that for us on Friday! Can't wait to go searching for crumpled metal with GK

Angela and Mike said...

Oh, the virginia in me yearns for green and trees and grass. There is nothing quite like the perfect weather, with the perfect company :) Grace is too cute.

Jamie said...

okay, so next time you go to this place, can you take me with you?! sadie would be in HEAVEN! and so would i! i think our play date is ridiculously over-due...it's almost comical. soon, right?! : )

Unknown said...

ooo so jealous! The sun doesn't seem to like the north west this spring.

Amanda Lund said...

Hi Kara,

Hope you are enjoying life in Texas! Based on your pictures, it appears you don't live to far from where I grew up (Coppell). If you ever have any questions about the area, you can email me at amandalund05@hotmail.com.

Amanda Lund (Alicia Severn Hinrichs' cousin and mom of a 2 year old boy that found you blog through my cousin's and kept reading b/c you were a new mom too :) )