Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving... Y'all

Yes, thats right, I said "y'all." I have to say it a number of times before they consider me to be a resident of this state. And, Texas, my friends, is where we celebrated our teeny, tiny, Thanksgiving.

Due to the fact that the interviewing/accepting the job/moving process fell in September and October, Aaron and I were too preoccupied to have the forethought of "Maybe we should look into tickets for Thanksgiving". As we finally wrapped our heads around reality, tickets were so expensive that I thought I saw a clause that said "Must throw in arm and leg, perhaps first born child, in order to get on this over priced flight." No matter how many times I clicked, refreshed, and rechecked, the prices never went down. Dang.
(Mr. N wearing his Pilgrim hat with a turkey gobbler on the bottom)

I moped around last week bummed at the prospect that this was the very first year we weren't going to be with family, and it wasn't even by choice. We tossed around ideas of where to go. Finally Aaron said, "Why don't we just do dinner ourselves." I initially cringed at the thought of hours of preparation for two and a half people. However, the more I thought about it, the more excited I got. "We can do anything we want, eat anything we want, and eat whenever we want, plus I can stay in my jammies. Win, win, and win again."  By Monday, as I was buying groceries, I was stoked out of my mind.

In the morning while the turkey cooked, we went for a drive, played with Grace and made a Turkey Craft.
 Despite accidentally turning the oven off, and having the Turkey take twice as long to cook (once we realized our mistake), things came together.

 We sat down at the table, complete with plastic "Spring Creek BBQ" cups, and got to feasting
As we cleaned up, we jammed out to Christmas tunes, Skyped with our families, got Grace in her Christmas jammies, and settled in to watch Christmas Vacation.

It was an absolutely incredible, teeny tiny Thanksgiving. We missed being with our families, but celebrating as our own little family, starting our own traditions was incredible and something I'll never forget. So for this Thanksgiving I'm grateful that airlines have really expensive flights,  because sometimes the things you think you don't want, are the things that you enjoy the most. Cliche? You bet. True? Very.

Now where are the festive colored m&m's?  I'm ready to celebrate Christmas.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

love Gracie's jammies. The turkey looks like it was a hit. That is the one thing we were missing at our feast: asparagus. Love me some asparagus. So glad you got to start some of your own Thanksgiving traditions. So glad you shared your new traditions with us :).