Thursday, December 2, 2010

Papa Was a Rolling Stone

Whenever there are things to be told I always have an internal debate on how I should tell them. Long, or short? I always toy with the thought until I realized today that I am basically incapable of telling short versions on any story. It's a curse, really.

Tuesday 10am- Grace and I come home from a walk, eat a snack, Grace goes down for a nap. I notice that I'm having really bad gas bubbles. Take a hot bath, put heat pack on my side. No relief. Take Tylenol. Gather mental list of possible problems, eliminate all expect kidney stones. Dang it. 

11:30am called Aaron, called family. I was ready to to pull my arm off and donate it to wolves if thats what it took to make me feel better. Instead I broke down and called a girl at church who I've only talked to a handfull of times to pick me up and take my to urgent care.

12:00pm- Urgent care CLOSED, yes, closed. Second urgent care "I'm sorry we can't help you." Off to the ER. I all but crawled into the ER. Name? DOB? Pain level 9-10. IV put in place, pain meds recieved, nausea meeds received. CT scan. "Well you have a pretty massive stone in there. 6-7mm. You're not going to be able to pass it on your own. You need to get in contact with a Urologist and they can take care of it."
(In the X-ray below count down from the very top. Between the 4th and 5th vertebrae you'll see a white blob. There she is my friends)

3:00pm- Released from the hospital, get something soft to eat, wait for meds, throw up in front of my friend for the second time (poor girl). Set up appointment, enlist the help of another friend.

Tuesday night was filled with attempts to control the pain, throwing up, and not sleeping well. 

Wednesday was a marathon day at the doctor's office. Exams, x-rays, CT scans, registration for the lithotripsy procedure, throwing up in front of more people I didn't know. I was told that I could double the pain medication which helped me sleep through the night.

Thursday morning Aaron and I woke up at 4:30am and dropped Grace off at 5:00am (yes, thats right) at the relief society presidents house. Then headed to the hospital. More x-rays. IV explanation of lithotripsy- a device place at the sight of the kidney stone and using sonic waves would blast the stone into sand-like particles. Another IV, medicine to put me to sleep..... 

I woke up with an oxygen mask on my face and a nurse rushing off to get Aaron. I was wheeled back into my room, went to the bathroom (they couldn't release me until I did), and headed home. I feel pretty tired and loopy still, but I'll take anything but the pain.

As much as I would like to have this post be a "woe is me" situation I really wanted to dedicate it to the people who ran the show behind the scenes.  

Aaron- took care of Grace, stayed up with me in the middle of the night when I was in pain or throwing up, met all my needs, took me to my procedure.

Yissel- took me to the ER, told me she didn't mind when I threw up in a barf bag in the car, took me to the pharmacy, and watched Grace the rest of the day. She also watched Grace the next morning.

Laurel- Took me to the doctor's office (which was 45 minutes away) stayed with me through the hours and hours of tests and registration, rubbed my back when I threw up. She also insisted that she watched Grace at 5am the next morning.

Sarah: Bought dinner for Aaron the first night and gave it to him when he went to pick up Grace at Yissel's. Watched Grace ALL DAY, and prepared a take home plate of dinner for Aaron.

Laurel, Typhanie, and Sarah: All watched Grace so I could get my procedure done and spend the rest of the day recovering.

The kindness of others never ceases to amaze me. Everyone were so kind and selfless and didn't even think twice about helping me. The only way I was able to get through this whole ordeal was because of their help. I hope that I can pay them back or pay their services forward. Most of the women barely knew me but knew that I needed help and they were more than happy to do it, and Aaron, was as wonderful as always. 

So I raise my glass (full of water) to all of you selfless people in the world. The world is a much better place with you here. Thanks for everything.

13 comments:

Julie Markham said...

Glad you are having a good experience in your new home, well, not so much the pain, but the caring friends.

Shannon said...

I was having a pretty craptastic day, and I came home to read this...and you definitely win the crapdastic day award. No complaints from me for the rest of the day ;)

SOOOOO glad you have wicked awesome friends in Texas already. What's not to love? miss you. glad you're feeling better. glad mr. stone is obliterated.

Diana said...

Seriously, why does all this kidney crap happen to you. I love when you put details in because it makes me feel like I know how you are doing. What awesome friends you guys already have. I am jealous of them.

Jack's Mama said...

God gave you the strength to get through this and the friends to support you for a reason, take care, I hope you feel 100% percent better soon!

DoubravaFam said...

Besides the fact that you had a kidney stone and needed surgery, that was a great story! I'm so glad you're doing better and hope you're feeling better. It's wonderful that there were so many people there to take care of you!!

The Coons Family said...

I wish we lived closer...one, so I could have taken Grace... Two...so you could have access to my pharmacy... And three so I could take you to the ER. I am experienced in taming Shantay to the ER. Can we reminisce about the wasp sting for just a minute? I mean really... We are pros at urgent type situations.

At any rate, I am so happy you are feeling better and your new Texan friends are taking care of you!! Feel better.

Kinzie Sue said...

What a crazy couple of days. I'm so glad there are so many great people living near you!! And I'm glad that those Drs got things taken care of. Rest up!

Chelsea said...

Ugh, sounds horrible. Glad you are doing better.
PS- What do people in these situations do without the RS?

Russell, Aimee and Savannah said...

Kara, I am so sorry you had to go through this again!! Blast those kidney stones! Sending you happy feel better thoughts!

Rebecca said...

I am so glad that you are okay. When Chris had kidney stones, it was the scariest thing to watch him feel so badly and throw up so violently. Again. Glad you're okay.

I can't help but crack up at the accidental freudian slip in Laurel's paragraph - hours and hours of *freudian slip*.

*hug*

Unknown said...

Oh, man! I am so sorry Kara! That sounds awful. I think it's so great how in the church we always have "family" there to help us. I'm glad you had so many people around to be there for you! I hope you're feeling better!

Rachel Barnard said...

ugh i'm so sorry! that is horrible! my room mate had a kidney stone and i had to take her to the hospital one morning.... wasn't fun. i can't even imagine!!!

Rachel♥ said...

1st - I can't tell a short story either.
2nd - Bless your heart! (There's some Texan Speak for ya!) I pray you've fully recovered!
3rd - My husband is amazing...but Aaron might get Hubby of the Year!