Saturday, December 11, 2010

Derailed

After Thanksgiving Aaron and I had a discussion about what we were going to do this holiday season. We were on a high from all the Thanksgiving celebrations we concocted and we wanted more of it. "We're going to make this the best Christmas season ever." 
We tossed around ideas on what to do and settled on a paper chain. One Christmas related activity written on each chain link for every day leading up to Christmas. Hot chocolate nights, trips to see the lights, reading the story of Christ's birth from the bible, and singing Christmas songs. Honestly, we could have been a family from the 50s with all of our sappy and totally awesome activities. 
Aaron cut out all the pieces and labeled each chain, we were ready to go, just a few more days left in November before the chain tearing, Christmas jammin', joy fest could start. Suddenly I was waking up from my kidney stone and drug induced stupor, just as Aaron was slipping into his 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, work schedule; and I looked at the calendar to see that it was already the middle of December. What the what?
Is it a little too late to do Christmas cards, decorate for the holiday season, chum up and take cookies to the neighbors etc etc, so on and so on?! I'm debating on whether I should just keep the Christmas train in the station and hitch a ride on it next year, or jump on full steam ahead with my Christmas lights blazing and hair blowing in the wind. I'm still on the fence about it and I know the train conductor wants the go ahead for one or the other.

Life has a funny way of derailing you when you know there is sheer and total awesomeness in the future. Maybe I can still earn my 50s housewife Christmas badge with the 11 days I have until we leave for Virginia. (If you get our Christmas card in the mail you'll know which choice I've made.) 

The most positive thing about this whole scenario next year's Christmas chain has already been made. I can cross that off my Christmas 2011 to do list.

9 comments:

Kristina said...

That's exactly how I felt in mid-November after I got sick with the flu and a bad cold. No fun!! I hope you are recovering well so that you can enjoy a few Christmas activities!!

Tiffany said...

What a cute idea! Hey, you don't necessarily have to do it full force, but just start now! Anything is fun. If only we lived close so I could come over and decorate your house while watching Elf... if only! :) So sorry you have been plaqued with so much sickness! And I love little Gracie in that santa outfit!

Angela and Mike said...

OKAY, here is what I vote. You will be sad without SOME decorations up. SO turn on some music and decorate the tree for FHE tomorrow. You don't have to go all out with lights outside etc...but you WILL be sad without the tree :)

Skip the christmas cards and just enjoy the ones you get.

Go ahead and make some yummy treats next Sunday and give them to a few neighbors.

and then kick back and have fun in VA!

Grace will love everything you do, and it's a blast seeing them excited about decorations, even if it's just a few :)

Julie Markham said...

The pictures of Grace are absolutely the BEST! The best way to enjoy Christmas is to sit back and hold her. Everything else will wait.

Kinzie Sue said...

I LOVE those pictures of Gracie! Absolutely darling! Whether you do all of those Christmas plans or not, being with your sweet family is the best part of Christmas anyways!

Unknown said...

Those pictures of Grace are beautiful! I think the paper chain sounds awesome. You should definitely put up a tree, but don't stress about cards. In our six years of marriage, I still have yet to send out real cards...email works, right? :)

On a completely unrelated note, where did you find the "I'm a Mormon" button? I like it.

Allison Barker said...

Kara!! I would love to see you, Grace and Aaron when you are in VA. How long will you be there for? CALL ME!!

The Zangers said...

First - Love the pictures of Gracie. Super cute. I think you could use one of those for your Christmas Card. :) Its never too late to get in the Christmas spirit and decorate! I say go for it!

Ashby said...

This post made me laugh because I can relate all too well. This year the season has kicked me in the behind so hard. I'm going a million miles an hour just to keep up, I can hardly even enjoy the reason for celebrating. I say take it easy and then kick it up a notch next year. After all you are ready for Christmas 2011.