Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Funeral

Last Wednesday Grace and I boarded a plane to D.C. (thanks to my Mom's copious amount of skymiles) to be with my Mom and the rest of our family. It was really strange to be so excited to see family yet sad that the reason we were getting together was a funeral. Reality didn't set in right when we got there so we enjoyed some bonding time.
(Photos courtesy of Ashby Hatch)
Ryan and Grace (they are serious buddies)
Emma and Brooklyn (who flew in from Arizona) loving on Taylor
Carly and Grace. I never held Grace longer than a few minutes when Carly was around.
Things started unraveling (emotionally) on Friday. That night we had the viewing for my Grandmother. The mixed emotions were in full force as we smiled, cried, and laughed when we saw cousins and family members that we haven't seen in awhile and as we said our goodbyes to our Grandmother.
My Grandfather and Ryan
Elena and Brooklyn (second cousins)
At one point I went over to my Grandpa and we were chatting. I asked him how he was doing. Tears welled up in his eyes as he turned to me and said, "I'm going to miss her. I'm always going to miss her." I couldn't stop the tears from coming, I couldn't hold it together like I had done earlier. I just held his hand and cried. I'm going to miss her too...
Saturday we had the funeral service. It was absolutely beautiful. The history, talks, memories, and songs that were shared made us laugh and cry as we honored what an incredible woman she was in our lives.

As we headed to the burial site I could feel myself getting the closure that I needed. I felt happy standing in the sun with my beautiful sisters and my Mom.
We walked to the burial site and watched as my Grandma's grandsons carried her casket. Such great men, she would have been so proud.
The mood was lighter and happier, maybe it was all the vitamin D we were getting...
My Grandmother left an incredible legacy
Four children
David, Craig, Karen, and John
Twenty Grandchildren
The first time in years that we have all been together
and 13 Great Grandchildren (with 3 on the way)

This brought the entire family together (minus two spouses and two Great Grandchildren). She was probably smiling seeing us all together.
We headed to a luncheon, spent time as an extended family, watched a wonderful slideshow of my Grandmother's life (thanks Ashby), and ate some delicious food.
Grace meeting her second cousins Coraleigh and Janie. They were all born within 6 weeks of each other
It was a whirlwind weekend. I'm so grateful that Grace and I were able to go. It was such a good experience and it made me realize just how important family is.

8 comments:

Shannon said...

What a beautiful family you have! What sweet and tender memories. What a blessing the Plan of Salvation is.

Ani said...

Your grandma was just the cutest thing ever! Sounds like it was a very great weekend to honor her.

Angela and Mike said...

I'm so glad you were able to go and be with your family. It looked like it was a beautiful service. Your have an awesome family, I'm sure you grandma is proud.

Diana said...

I'm so glad you were able to be there with the fam and see your grandpa and everyone else. It looked like a beautiful service, especially with the sunshine!

Wendi said...

I agree. It was a great weekend. It's wonderful that so many were able to make it so we could all have some time together, as we said goodbye to Grandma Merrell.

Mema of 5 said...

Thanks for that beautiful tribute, Kara. You made me cry all over again but that's okay. Thanks for coming out here and bringing Miss Grace. It was wonderful to have everyone together (minus Aaron). Love ya!

Ashby said...

That was a great rundown of our weekend. It all happened so fast, it was like a whirlwind. It was so good to see you and Gracie! And man, whoever took those pictures must have been GOOOO-OOOD! Just kidding! Love you!

Ryry said...

Love the picture of me and GK. Go brown team!