Friday, August 24, 2012

Like Riding a Bike

Aaron's Mom left early Wednesday morning on August 1st. I teared up as she walked outside and down the stairs. I shut the door behind me and with a quick turn of the lock my reality suddenly shifted. Two kids, one apartment, one adult keeping things together. I was nervous. In all honestly I expected the worst. Meltdowns at every corner, both kids crying simultaneously, meals not being prepared, the apartment in shambles, you name it, I was expecting it to happen. So we all stayed home, in our jammies, and had nothing on the agenda but: survive.

And survive we did. Actually we did better than that, we enjoyed ourselves.

Lunchtime, naptime, dinnertime, and bedtime were all about 3 hours off. But we worked it out and I mentally high fived myself because I didn't even come close to crying (which considering how easy it was for me to cry, was a pretty awesome feat). We made it, completely unscathed and a little exhausted but I could see that being a Mom of two was in fact a very possible undertaking.
 The first official day being without "The Moms" a friend invited Grace over for a playdate. I prepared the night before and had all outfits and materials ready for a quick dash out the door. Both kids were clean, dressed, and ready to roll by 10am.
I even had the chance to a few errands with just my little man in tow.
 We spent the rest of the afternoon at home, and I finally got it out of my head that I couldn't do this alone. Two days in and we were rockin' it. We even did tummy time, or as Christian does it "Lay on the floor and kick your feet time."
 And then after that it was like riding a bicycle. It was a bicycle I had never been on before, but the pedals operated the same way and I pushed forward just as I normally would have. We still played.
And made dinner (sneaking cheese as we went).
 We still went for walks at the mall (I'm slightly obsessed with the newborn doubles setting of my stroller.)
 I still got pedicures- okay maybe they were just pretend Crayola pedicures by Grace, but it was a pedicure nonetheless.
 We still did the laundry and cleaned the apartment. Grace was "doing the dishes" when I caught her like this scrubbing the sink. I gave her a gold star and told her to keep up the good work ;).
 Things were just a little bit different since we had this awesomeness in the house.
The added babe slowed down the pace for how quick and efficient we were, but the "to do" list could always be pushed aside for moments to snuggle and love.
Soon we were flying around on our new bicycle and wiping out when things got ridiculously overwhelming. Yes, I cried and yelled, and there were time-outs and frustrations and trips to Taco Bell when I couldn't get my stuff in order to make dinner. But we got back up and kept going and everyday seemed to be better than the next. And most importantly, we were happy.
Very happy.

And I wouldn't trade it for all of the ease and comfort in the world.

8 comments:

The Coons Family said...

Christian is so cute! I wish I could just snuggle with him. And Gracie doing dishes? Love it. I'm putting Lucas to clean toilets tomorrow ... Lol. Love you friend! You can handle two kids like a pro!

Wade H. said...

It WILL get easier, I promise! I think right around 3-4 months suddenly I looked around and realized it was relatively easy again. Hang in there! Wish me luck, we are about to dive into the world of three! (although my oldest will be in school all day...score!)

Alicia said...

Whoops...that last comment was supposed to be from me, Alicia.

Rebecca said...

I love the sister-brother tummy time picture!

Rachel said...

You are awesome. Thanks for the inspiration - I don't have kids yet, and know plenty of ordinary moms who rock having 6 or more kids, but having just one or two to me seems overwhelming sometimes! I'm sure in no time you become a pro though, and soon enough you could handle several at once with ease.

Crayola pedis? I want one!! Tell Grace to save me a color for when we visit again (which WILL be happening one day). I LOVE the pic of the two of their bums in the air. And all the other pics..they are just all adorable.

Good thing you'll be a major pro at riding this new bike by the time I have kids so I can call and cry to you and you can tell me what to do :)

Rachel said...

Way to go! Glad y'all are doing well, and everyone is looking so cute!

Shelbs said...

Wow you made it out of the house by 10 am!? I am impressed. You are doing great! I really turned a corner around 8 weeks when Andrew started sleeping better at night. You're almost there!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Ha! What a great smile by Christian at the end there! Aww. He's cute. I felt the same way when Johnny was born, but I certainly never put it to words the way you can and do. You give me confidence that I can do this again too, so thanks!