Thursday, August 16, 2012

Grandee in Town

Aaron's Mom arrived the day before my Mom left, and the Grandma torch was passed. Although I missed my Mom and cried when she left, I knew we were in good hands with Grandee in town.
Three generations of Barnards
It is safe to say that I am an extremely lucky girl. Not one, but two Moms that flew into town to help and keep our lives functional and easy during this time of transition. Aaron went back to work the Monday after his mom arrived and I was grateful to not have to make the jump to flying solo during the day with two kids quite yet.

Grandee got right to work and gave Christian his second bath, and despite the look on his face, he thoroughly enjoyed it.

She then got right down to business snuggling Christian
And spending lots of time with Grace (photo below taken by Grace)
They spent tons of time shopping together, going for walks, going grocery shopping, and playing at the play areas. Mornings were usually Grandee and Grace time, and they always brought lunch home with them :)
We even ventured out a few times together.
And when I say "ventured out" I mean "went to Chick-fil-A"
I can't tell you how many mornings and afternoons Aaron's mom got up with Grace got her fed and kept her entertained so that I could sleep. She kept Grace occupied and quiet and I didn't even realize what had happened until I woke up hours later.
She even helped me to do trial runs of things. For example a few days before she left, she said we would go to the grocery store and I could practice grocery shopping with two kids and she would only help with extraneous things. I was so much less stressed having extra hands with me, just in case. during my first trip to the grocery store with both children. The next time I went to the store, even though I was alone, I wasn't nervous because I had already done it before and was totally fine.

I remember Grandee leaning in to me at church and whispering, "Did you know that you all got ready, out the door, and on time to church without my help? You'll do great when you're on your own." She prepared me for life without the help of a Grandma, and it was a much needed confidence boost.

Sadly, she too had to head back home, and I cried again. She was so wonderful, and I struggled once more to find the proper words to thank her. I hope the string of "Thank you so much" phrases were sticking and that she knew, somehow, how much she helped me.

No comments: