Thursday, August 23, 2012

Grace

I'm not sure how, or why, but Grace fell in love with Christian from day one. She made it seem like having him in her life was the most normal transition and she stepped up to the plate in her new role as big sister.
I wasn't sure what to expect with her. She talked about the baby before, but I knew at the age of 2 years and 11 months, she really couldn't grasp the concept of my belly meaning a new sibling. Heavens I barely grasped the concept sometimes.

The nurse gave us some tips before Grace arrived: 1.) Don't be holding the baby when she walks in. 2.) She will probably be standoffish to you because she sees you in a different setting. 3.) She will probably want nothing to do with the baby at first. I had Christian in the bassinet and prepped myself for her underwhelming reaction as she walked through the door. But, she was the opposite of all the warnings. She saw me and said "Hi" and them immediately ran to the baby. She wasn't phased by the hospital room or me hooked up to an IV. She peered through the bassinet and was super excited to see Christian.

The first time she held him, she looked at him and then nuzzled his nose. She looked up and smiled as if she had done this a million times. (don't be alarmed, that is just my underarm being shown through my hospital gown)
The second day in the hospital, when Grace arrived, Christian was getting his circumcision (poor guy) and was in the nursery at the time. She was pretty bummed that it was just me and Aaron, but was excited when they wheeled Christian back into the room.
Her love for her baby brother has yet to diminish. Perhaps she loves him a little too much. As expected she is a mini little Momma. When he cries she says "Shhh, shhh, shhh Bubby, it's okay, I'm here." Or gets him a pacifier. If I'm helping her with something and Christian is crying, she looks desperately at me and says, "Mom! Christian!"
Helping at Christian's post hospital doctor's appointment
Let the dressing up begin
The transition for her has not been flawless, and we have definitely had some bumps in the road. Temper tantrums, refusing to sleep, etc. But overall, considering the huge life change she just experienced, she did really well.
My biggest concern when we brought the baby home was that I wanted Grace to continue to receive a good amount of attention. Aaron, my mom and Aaron's mom were amazing at making Grace feel special and involved, but there was one time that I will never forget. We had friend come over to visit and meet Christian. As they walked in, everyone immediately went to Christian. I watched Grace while everything unfolded and the look on her face absolutely broke my heart. She seemed so confused that this group of people, which normally would come and talk to her first thing, weren't even acknowledging her. I did my best to get close to her to make her feel better, I'm not sure it helped. After everyone left, I burst into tears. She had been such a trooper, but the look of hurt on her face was too much for me.
Thankfully those moments were few and far between, heaven only knows my hormones couldn't handle it. And in between snuggling our new sweet boy, and attempting to sleep, we soaked up moments with our favorite little girl.


I think she is going to enjoy her role as big sister.
I sure do love this girl.

6 comments:

Diana said...

I totally know the feeling. I still get so many comments from strangers and people we know about how cute the twins are all the time. I always want to be like "I do have another child who is just as beautiful". It's made me realize how to act towards other people's kids. The baby has no recollection about whether you came to see him first or after a little hug and kiss to the older sib. I LOVE Gracie's nose nuzzles though, so so so cute.

Shannon said...

Oh Grace, I KNEW you'd be a fabulous big sister! You are a little darling! These are such sweet memories, Kara! I, too, love that she nuzzled his nose. Melting my heart! She's getting so grown up! Miss her, and you!

Rebecca said...

Grace is awesome... and awesomely adorable!

Unknown said...

I've been wondering how Grace is handing all this! I'm so glad she's doing so well! What a lucky girl she is to have such an empathetic mother. No wonder it comes so naturally to her.

Karen said...

That was the sweetest thing I've ever read. She nuzzled his nose! Oh gosh, you made me cry. I'm so glad the transition is going so well. Londyn screamed bloody murder when she saw me in the hospital and we didn't introduce her to Scotlyn until we were back home. It was terrible, so I'm really glad yours went so much better!

P.S. We miss being your neighbors!

Jenni said...

Grace is awesome. And, I appreciated the clarification on the underarm picture. When I first saw this post, it was on my phone and the pictures were tiny. It did look questionable, so the clarification was much needed.