Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Epic Fail

On Sunday I started to get sick. Something nasty along the lines of tonsilitis. Fever, aches, chills, sore throat. I got medicine on Monday, but the medicine was making me sick in a completely different way. Something along the lines of the Southern hemisphere.....if you know what I mean. All in all I was a hot mess. Living off tylenol every 4-6 hours. Not showering. Desperately trying to make it to nap time or the end of the day.

By Tuesday Grace was desperate to get out of the house. Desperate. We were out of pretty much everything food wise. And I couldn't make anymore excuses. I took some tylenol. Threw on some make-up. (please take note that I still had not showered) and headed out the door once Grace woke up. She had taken a much later nap so we left around dinner time. I was hungry and needing to buy things to make dinner. It was drizzling outside but nothing too unbearable.

The shopping itself was quick and efficient. Almost all of my groceries had been scanned and bagged when I started rifling through my purse to find my wallet. No wallet. I rifled harder and started to panic. Oh my gosh I don't have my wallet. I knew exactly where it was. I had bought something for Aaron online and it was sitting on my bed. Shoot. I said to the lady, "I forgot my wallet but I have my check book, but I don't have my license to verify the check." She said "I'm so sorry, I need your license." I live just down the street so after a series of forehead slaps and "shoots" I said to her "Do you mind holding my groceries while I run home and grab my wallet?" she said "Sure."

Round two of rifling through my bag to find my keys. I couldn't find them. It isn't surprising. My bag is full of random stuff making my keys impossible to see. So I headed out to my car assuming I would find them once I stopped. In the drizzling rain, I searched, and pulled things out, and searched again. No keys. Not in any pockets. Not anywhere. Panic set in. Where on Earth are my keys? Did someone steal them? I went to call Aaron. But I couldn't find my phone. NO PHONE. I was tired, and sick, and probably should not have been allowed to leave the house considering the mental state I was ine that caused me to leave my wallet and phone at home. So I started to cry. Big sobs that require gasping breaths in. Grace was happy playing in the rain and then she stopped to ask "What happened Mama? Why crying?" People were walking by as I was crying crouched over my bag. No keys, no phone, no wallet, no groceries. I prayed, "Heavenly Father, I have no idea what to do. Please help."

Suddenly I heard a woman's voice behind me. "Is everything okay?" I turned and stood up and wiped my tears away while I sniffled, "Yeah, I just can't find my keys. I obviously had them before since I got here and my car is locked. But I need them to get home so I can get my wallet which I forgot in order to by the groceries I already collected. She said, "Oh I am so sorry. Well I'll stay with you until you get everything sorted out." She was so nice. I would not have been as nice as she was to me, but I was so grateful for her. She let me use her phone so I could call Aaron who has my spare key. He was on his way, so I thanked my modern day Good Samaritan and headed back into the store.

I retraced every single step that I made. I walked in, checked the carts, headed to the bananas. Not there. I veered toward the onions. Sitting in the pile of onions were my keys. I have no idea how they fell out of my pocket into the onions but there they were. There should have been a beam of light and angels singing praises, because that is what it felt like. Now I needed to call Aaron and tell him to turn around and head back to work. I awkwardly scanned people to try to get a good idea of who wouldn't be totally weirded out by me asking them to use their phone. Lost of people had their phones out but I was too chicken to ask. I waited in line at customer service thinking they might let me use there phone when I got the courage to ask a girl standing in line to use hers. Aaron laughed when I told him where I found them. I thanked the girl and high tailed it out the door and back to my apartment.

Grace had lots of fun as we ran up and down the stairs. I got my phone, my wallet, and made sure I had my keys when I headed back. I made my way to register 16 and there was the sweet lady, still holding my groceries despite the fact that it took my twice as long as I said it would take. She smiled and said, "You're back!" I panted a "yes" in response. I thanked her immensely for her kindness and I finally headed home for good.

I should have just ordered pizza.

But for all the fails that built up due to my lack of taking the necessary things with me, I will never cease to be amazed by the kindness of strangers.

6 comments:

Mema of 5 said...

Oh, Kara. That story made me cry. It is the worst feeling when you can't find either your keys or wallet or phone but ALL THREE! I'm so glad that it worked out and I hope you are feeling better:) I love you!

Rebecca said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

I hope you feel better soon!

Shannon said...

these are the WORST kind of stories to experience, but the BEST kind of stories to tell. Seriously, and you told it well; I felt like I was there with you experiencing every emotion. Did you laugh out loud in the onion section? I would have. Sometimes that is when I know I am near insanity; I just start laughing at every little thing. So glad you found your wallet AND your phone AND your keys AND got your groceries, to boot. I also think it is tender that Gracie cakes was so empathetic.

Dyanna Stephens said...

When it rains it pours... at least figuratively. A bad day like that means that a really good day is in store for you soon.

Angela and Mike said...

Oh Kara. No phone, keys, OR wallet. I can't believe it. All three at the same time? Poor Kara. I hate those days and moments where I am just so frazzled. I'm so glad someone was there to help a little.

And in the onions? You have got to be joking. One day you will laugh about this story :)

Kinzie Sue said...

I have gotten to the register far too many times without my wallet. I blame it on switching from diaper bag to purse too frequently. But your story takes the cake for sure, and I'm so glad there are kind people out there willing to lend a hand (or phone!) What an adventure of an outing!