Saturday, March 5, 2011

What a Character

 Grace is a character.
She has personality oozing out of her eyeballs

And with that overflowing personality comes a strong will to do what she wants when she wants. Even if it's looking at me, holding her food over the edge, listening to me say "Grace don't throw that!", and then dropping it over the side with a smile. Or me saying "Gracie smile with Momma." And instead she sticks her fingers in my mouth.

And while I assumed that she'd be into playing with toys, she prefers getting into things and exploring. Insisting that when I'm putting on my make up, or doing my hair, that she should be doing the same things too. (It makes getting ready very interesting...thus all the second and third day hair).

Climbing is on the top of her To Do list everyday. My sister calls her Grace Monkey (that funky monkey). And Grace is convinced that smiling means making this face, and there are really no words to describe it.

So we try to get out a lot. Places where she can satisfy her curiosity and get her energy out.

 The car wash is always a win win. A show for Grace and a clean car for Mom.

Going to the park has become therapeutic. It's Grace's mecca. I'm pretty convinced that Grace's idea of heaven is one big playground in the sky. And she's got some serious guts, because she slides down all the slides without any help. Sometimes face first. And sometimes without anyone waiting at the bottom.

It's taken me some time to really get to know Grace and learn how she sees the world, how she operates, and what makes her tick. And although we butt heads a lot and don't see eye to eye, she melts my heart. With every banana thrown on the floor and every page torn out of a book, she has kisses, hugs, and moments that make me laugh flowing right in.


And I didn't see if before but now I know that I'm lucky that I have a baby that pushes me to do things outside of my comfort zone. She is helping me see the world in a way that I would never have seen it before. We're a good mix, and a good balance for each other. I'm proud to say that she is mine.

I want her to know when she is older that she pushed my buttons sometimes, but it helped me for the better. It forced me to learn and grow and I love her for that. She is Ying and I am Yang and shockingly we're a perfect fit.

9 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

Funny how these kids come out with their OWN personalities...we can't change them! We can channel them into good things though:) I love the picture of her on the steering wheel! haha.

My Colton is very similar and very different. The kid is SO cautious and hesitant to try anything new. It makes new adventures very difficult. However, he is very stubborn ans strong willed like Gracie.

Love these kids! But they sure do wear you out!

breadncheeseplease.com said...

I laughed through this entire post because Lucas makes the same faces... and does the SAME thing when in the drivers seat!

I can't wait to come to Texas so the two of them can run wild and play at the park while the mommas drink their sonic diet cokes and watch them play!!

Rachel Barnard said...

haha! the steering wheel picture is my favorite. That's the best face I've ever seen :)

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

What a great post! I love your description of the feeling that your kid was sent to you for a reason. I feel the same way! And pretty much, Gracie's "smile" is amazing.

mk said...

1. your daughter is precious
2. i use that same shampoo!!
3. you have amazing teeth

:)

grace said...

You're fabulous. And you look fabulous, as always. Can't wait to see you in just a few short weeks! XOXO

Diana said...

Seriously, that picture of her climbed up on the steering wheel kills me, she's hilarious!

Unknown said...

Grace is so awesome! I love all the pictures. What a cute little girl!

The Zangers said...

I can't believe how big Gracie is getting. She is so flipping cute. That picture of her on standing on the steering wheel cracks me up. Looks like you have your hands full with that little girl.

Miss you guys!