Saturday, March 26, 2011

Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?

The question is asked many times, and amongst lame answers like "to get the the other side," and "Because there was a super hot girl chicken over there," I've come to the conclusion that there is only one answer to the question "Why did the chicken cross the road?" Because its head got cut off. There is no earthly reason why a tiny chicken would cross a road full of cars and trucks. No chicken with its head attached that is. Because chickens still run around when they are headless, and honestly that is the only reason it would cross the road. 

Sometimes I feel like a chicken with its head cut off. Like I'm running around aimlessly trying to get things done, or go places, and when I finally sit down and relax, it feels like I've been in a whirlwind. Vacations, or stay-cations, always do that to me.

My wonderful Mother flew in town for Spring Break, and despite my sister getting strep and Grace having a double ear infection, we managed to squeeze in some seriously fun activities, while balancing everything else that comes with life.

We took pictures of about an eighth of what we did, because headless chickens don't remember to take pictures either.

We took a vintage train ride to the Forth Worth stockyards


 With strep throat medication in tow



 I've decided that if you want the most "Texas" experience of your life, you come here.
 Outsider food was not allowed on the train, so the first thing on our To Do list, Lunch. Diet Cherry Pepsi was involved, so Mema was happy.
We headed to the "Not-So-Much-Petting-Zoo" Where they had about 12 goats and one mangy sheep.

 I don't think it counts as a petting zoo if your child can't actually reach the animals, that might just be me though.



Carly and Grace made sure to go horse back riding while we were there.

And the older kids got balloon hats made by the Cowboy Clown.
 After some window shopping we decided to stake out some spots for the long awaited "Cattle Drive." I had lofty thoughts that this Cattle Drive would be like taking a scene out of the movie Australia. Wrangling hundreds of cows down the street to the delight and wonderment of the crowd. We were urged not to move from the curb and I got my camera ready.

Twelve longhorns, hefted themselves down the street, barely keeping their heads up from the weight of their horns, and acting as if walking down the street was the last thing they wanted to be doing.
 And then they were gone. If one of the cows hadn't stopped right in front of us to make awkward cow to human eye contact, we might have missed the whole "cattle drive." Oh well. So much for lofty hopes and pretending to be Nicole Kidman for the day.
 At least our ride was cool.

 Grace was riding first class: Pacifier, blanket, Mema.

Later in the week we headed to the Arboretum. It had a fairy tale village throughout. So Mema and the kiddos sat on King Triton's Throne (Ariel's Dad in the Little Mermaid).



Carly and Taylor were under strict orders not to touch Grace, because she would scream. Can you tell?

The girls sought shade from the hot sun under the trees.

While Taylor stripped down and took matters into his own hands.

We didn't have any pictures of the three of us together. So we decided to chance the double chins and have Carly take a picture for us.

Sadly on Monday, we sent my Mom back home. Our stay-cation was over. I wrongfully assumed that things would settle down, and before I knew it I was driving to Austin on Friday morning.

One of my closest friends, Grace, was visiting her sister in Austin, and its been almost a year since we were in the same state. Needless to say, there was no question about what had to be done. Gracie and I woke up and headed down.

We thoroughly confused Grace's nieces as we tried to explain that their Aunt and my baby had the same name. We tried Big Grace and little Grace, which didn't stick, and toward the end of our visit Savannah just started calling my Grace "Little girl."

I love getting The Graces together. And yes, little Grace is "smiling"

It was so fun to visit and stay up til the wee hours of the night having girl talk.

But, today I am tired, and I'm trying to get caught up because I don't like being a headless chicken.

7 comments:

Jack's Mama said...

I love the binkies, Jack loves his paci too, even the same brand! All the kids are so cute, take care!

Kinzie Sue said...

You've reinspired me to venture out in our cowboy/girl boots and give the Ft. Worth stockyards a go... all this time, and still no longhorn drive! Glad you guys had fun!! Litte Miss Grace sure is growing up, and is such a cutie!

Mema of 5 said...

I loved this post! It made me want to go back and ride the slowest train on the planet one more time. Thanks for posting the clown picture. I need to send it to RyRy. I miss you guys, especially Miss Grace's hugs and temper tantrums. Love you!

Angela and Mike said...

Sounds like the "headless chicken" feeling was well worth it though. Looks like you had a blast. Vacations are TOTALLY not vacations though, they are exhausting and require at least a week of recuperation. You look great by the way!

Ashby said...

Ryan was freaked out by that clown. Freaked. Out.

I wish I had been there with you guys. Makes me sad that the girls and I missed a fun Texas-style week.

And I hear you on the headless chicken thing, except with 3 kids I don't go anywhere. I just run around aimlessly at home trying to get things done.

Shannon said...

Do rest up, because then you get to come and see ME! And I'm kind of excited about that :).

p.s. you're hair is so long and beautimous! I love it.

Kyle and Melanie said...

You should move to Wyoming, where there are REAL cattle drives. Believe it or not, I used to help out with those back in the day :)

You guys are looking so good. I miss you all. And Grace is getting so big. Love you guys...