Thursday, October 7, 2010

Texas

For those of you who are not on facebook, I am pleased to announce that Aaron was offered and accepted a job in Dallas, Texas starting at the end of this month. We are really excited for this new adventure.
You may have some questions. Not to worry, I'm here to answer them.

Why Texas?

Texas has been on our radar, amongst other places (mostly places where our family members live). When we got married, it was always an option due to the fact that Aaron grew up there and really enjoyed it. It was never a pressing matter, more of a "maybe" or "eventually." This past year, however, the idea of moving to Texas kept popping up in our minds and it felt right.

How did he get the job?

Aaron explored his options, his main one being transferring within the company he currently works for, which, unfortunately, didn't work out. Aaron's friend, Brigham, got him in contact with a recruiter in Dallas for the company he works for (Ernst&Young, another accounting firm). I'm not sure if it was just right place right time but the interview process went at lightening speed. From the first interview with the HR person to Aaron accepting the job it was about 3 1/2 weeks.

When do you move?

We'll be moving in a week and a half. We've already started packing and my apartment is a hot mess.

Are you going to miss California?

I won't miss the overpriced rundown apartments, the taxes, the traffic, and crowdedness of the area. But I will miss the incredible people here. I have never met so many genuine, down to Earth, caring, friendy people all in one area before. The people here always made me want to be a better person, think outside the box, and stretch myself in the best way possible. I've made some of my best friends here. I'm going to miss the Young Women that I worked with. I'm going to miss Grace's playgroup chalk full of 4 girls and one very lucky boy, and the fact that Grace is being taken away from her best friend Aubrey. It breaks my heart to think that I won't see these people on a daily or weekly basis. Aaron and I grew up a lot here, changed for the better here, and most importantly our beautiful baby girl was born here. Leaving is going to be so bittersweet. I'm trying hard not to think about saying goodbye.

Are you excited?

Yes. Very excited. We're looking forward to growing roots and settling down somewhere, raising flocks of children and taking them to the rodeo. We're really excited about the prospect of buying a home.

I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

18 comments:

Julie Markham said...

A fun thing about Texas that you will enjoy is the dual citizenship.

Unknown said...

Wow, that's exciting! Congratulations on the (fast) new job! I'm sure the cost of living adjustment there will be a welcome change!

Unknown said...

congrats! We have really liked EY and I am sure you guys will as well. Good luck with your move and your flock of children you are planning on having :)

Jenni said...

Congratulations! Though you will be missed, it sounds like an exciting time. Let me know if you guys need boxes. We've got stacks left over from our move. Also, let me know if you need help with the move. Jared would love to return the favor.

Shannon said...

Dear Texas,

You are getting some of the best people I know. Be good to them. And send them back for visits.


Sincerely,
Shan

(p.s. kara, I reenacted the traumatic spider scenario twice on Tuesday(once for Ryan and once for Laura)...my voice was hoarse because of it. I still chuckle AND shiver when I think of it ALL this time later. good times, good times.)

Stephanie said...

Marty is really going to be upset when I tell him this.

Lindsey said...

congrats! I am so excited for you!

I can honestly say I know how you feel about leaving the amazing people of the bay area. there is seriously something special about the people in that area. (sniff, sniff) But I can also say that it is wonderful to buy a house!! Good luck with everything!

Jack's Mama said...

What an exciting time! Congrats and good luck with the move!

Amanda and Paul said...

Kara,

You don't know me...my name is Amanda. I am Alicia Hinrichs' cousin. I was born and raised in Dallas and currently live in Ft Worth (we're very happy with our house we built 4 years ago). I am very familiar with the housing market, schools, etc in this area. If you'd like any info, you can get my contact info from Alicia.

P.S. I hope you're not freaked out by a stranger posting on your blog. It is linked from my cousins and since most of her friends are having kids (like I did 20 months ago) I read the stories of other new mom's. Take care and best of luck in your new venture. Hope you like it here!

The Gilberts said...

Congratulations Kara and Aaron, you guys will be missed. Good luck with your packing, if you need to drop Gracie off for a few hours to expedite packing, let me know! I'm happy to help!

Allison Barker said...

This is so exciting Kara! I'm going to have to come visit!

Chelsea said...

so exciting. you guys will love it!

Jessica said...

I'm so excited for you! What firm was he working with before? Eric works for E&Y here in Atlanta. So far we've been really happy with them. I hope all your packing goes well!!

Ashby said...

Curiosity satisfied! We are so thrilled for you guys. I can't believe your move is just a week away! Craziness.

Suz said...

So happy to hear everything with the job worked out! I have been thinking about you guys a lot this week. Let me know if you need any help with packing, moving, or Gracie-sitting!

Russell, Aimee and Savannah said...

What an awesome adventure! I am sure Aaron is totally excited to go back home to his roots! We wish you all the best!

erika herman said...

it does, and i was very curious. I like the details. Good luck with everything!

Jenna Morrison Clark said...

CONGRATS, Kara! exciting.