Friday, October 29, 2010

Arrival

We made it to Texas mostly unscathed. I only cried twice on the plane. Props to me. Apparently exhaustion, congestion, and cabin pressure can reek some serious havoc on a one year old. The first leg of the trip I was on the last row sandwiched between two 40 something year old men. Screaming baby, crying woman, those poor men deserved a medal for their patience and understanding.

My sister-in-law and her cute family drove up from Houston to help us move in and pick me up from the airport. Aaron and his Dad arrived shortly thereafter. We spent lots of time hanging out with the family which made the trip seem a lot more like a vacation than a move.
My first observation about Texas, it was extremely flat. I wasn't too sure what to expect before I got here. But, it reminds me of the valleys in Utah. Take Utah, cut off the mountains and you have Texas.
Second observation: People here are ridiculously nice. There are nice people across the nation, but here strangers are nice to other strangers. You say "thank you" to someone and they usually respond "my pleasure." Everyone holds doors open and waves thank you when you let them cross the street. It's fabulous.

Third observation: It's really hot (and it's only October). People keep warning me about the summer. I have somehow convinced myself that it won't be as hot as people say. AKA severe denial.

Fourth Observation: There are two things that reign supreme here. Football (the Dallas Cowboys) and Dr. Pepper. They have Diet Dr. Pepper on tap everywhere. It's heavenly.
All observations aside, there is one thing that I love, without a doubt, about Dallas. Chick-fil-A. There is one on every corner it seems like. I have been there no less than 10 times. I'm pretty sure the staff people know who we are.
We're almost done unpacking
and we're diving into house hunting.
But overall, we're happy and healthy.


8 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

Way to go! I've been that mom on the flight with the screaming child a few times...it's the worst. I'm so sorry. BUT you made it! Good luck with the house hunting. Dallas has always been one of my top places I've wanted to live...keep us updated!

Julie Markham said...

When I arrived in Texas in 1973, the FIRST thing I noticed was how friendly the people are. Looks like Gracie's doing fine. I missed your updates -- glad you are back online.

Kyle and Melanie said...

I may or may not have been crying while I was reading your post... You know, dusty tears and all. I miss you like crazy already. But I am so happy you guys finally get to house hunt and have the sweet nectar on tap. Love you guys!

The Zangers said...

so glad you guys made it safe. Can't wait to hear more! Blake says hi to Gracies! xoxo

Kinzie Sue said...

Glad you guys arrived safely (despite a crazy flight), are getting settled, and have discovered several of the joys of living in Texas (besides the heat!) Let's get together! We are dying to meet Gracie, most especially Brenner ;)

Jeff Nielson said...

Hi Kara!

I loved this post. It sounded a lot like our welcome-to-Texas post that we wrote back in May when we moved to Waco. We noticed all the same things: The Doctor Pepper, the insane heat, the flatness, and DEFINITELY the Chick-fil-A. Texas is a different (i.e. uglier) world than what I'm used to in VA and UT, but now that we've been here a few months, we really think Texas is the promised land. After I'm done with Baylor, we're going to try to stay (but not in Waco, obviously).

Jenni said...

I'm glad you made it safely and that Texas appears to be treating you well. When I was at BYU, some idiot wrote an editorial in the Daily Universe giving 10 reasons why "Texas is better than California". With that in mind, I hope you'll understand why I hope you like Texas, but will always consider California supreme. If that ends up not being the case, please don't ever tell me.

Jamie said...

so...we need to get together! maybe we could meet for lunch at chick-fil-a?! pretty sure we go there for lunch at least twice a week...no joke!