Monday, January 11, 2010

Rice Cereal

At Grace's last appointment our doctor advised us to start giving Grace rice cereal (More so for practice rather than supplementation).

We purchased the proper equipment
And got to work. Grace braced for the challenge
She was a little confused at first, but for the most part she did well. Apparently there was a purple theme to this experience.
She even finished the whole bowl, half of which was in the bottom of her bumbo, but the bowl was empty and thats what counts, right?

Day 2 of the rice cereal was a little different. The day before, I pumped so we were able to mix the rice cereal with breast milk. This day, however, my pump stuff was in the dish washer so we decided to use formula. Grace isn't a huge fan of the taste but I kept feeding it to her. Her neck started to look red and raw. I commented to Aaron that the rice cereal that was running down her face was making her neck chafe. After a few more minutes I noticed that Grace was breaking out in hives and mean looking red spots all over her body and especially under her neck. We stopped feeding her and immediately put her in the tub. Her skin didn't react this way when we mixed the rice cereal with breast milk, so it almost seems like she has some sort of allergy to the formula we got. I took some pictures so that I could show them to my doctor. Sorry Grace, they aren't the most modest.
I threw this one in here because she looked cute. (minus the hair on her arm)
We kept a close eye on her for the rest of the night to make sure that she didn't have any breathing issues (which she didn't), and thankfully the hives went away within 30 minutes.

**Our doctor's nurse informed us that it probably isn't an allergic reaction. It still was a scary weird experience.

I tried the rice cereal with water the next night and she didn't react to it. Have any of your kids had reactions to rice cereal/formula on their skin?

6 comments:

Diana said...

Actually just last night ELla had something similar to this, she was eating refried black beans and tortilla and anywhere that the beans were on her body (which was pretty much half her face, all down her chest and the tops of her legs, were all red and splotchy. I did the same thing, put her in the bath and then I put vaseline all over her. They went away pretty quick. Ella has really dry skin and (like mine) it gets irritated really easily so I think that's all that it is. I'm no doctor, but I say don't worry about it. Maybe try a different formula and see if it causes the same reaction, she could just have sensitive skin and vaseline always does the trick for us.
(sorry about the novel...goodness, apparently i had a lot to say)

Hayley said...

yikes. poor babe. so glad it wasn't anything serious. i'm paranoid about allergies for some strange reason & watch my kids like a hawk when they try something new.

Julie Markham said...

Not an allergy? Well, ok... keep an eye on her. Babies do have to move to solid food at some point. Maybe you can mix the cereal with applesauce (no milk) and see how she does.

Stephanie said...

Ems is allergic to amoxicillin. Not when it touches her skin, so this doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted to sympathize with you. One night when Ems was a baby I went to get her out of her crib during the night and I could tell in the pitch black that she had swollen up really bad just by feeling her! It was one of my scariest moments. Luckily, her airway hadn't been constricted but it was bad!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kara, I saw your blog on facebook and since my son is just a month older then your lovely daughter i decided to follow :) I think you should try to use soy formula. I breastfeed Jack but I find it too much effort to pump and mix the rice cereal with breastmilk, plus its slightly painful. That way if you need to give her a formula bottle she will be used to the taste. I hope it helps! Leah Crane LaMonica

Kinzie Sue said...

Poor girl! We started Brenner on it too, and now it's like he knows that if we're eating, he should be eating too! She's a cutie!!