Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dear Milk Based Formula,

I strongly disklike you.

Unlovingly,
Kara

When I called Grace's nurse and told her about the red spots (see previous post) she told me that it was chafing due to the rice cereal. I had a gut instinct that it had nothing to do with the rice cereal and had more to do with the formula. So yesterday I replicated the circumstances and spoon fed Grace, but left the rice cereal out so it was purely formula. About ten minutes into it the red splotches and bumps showed up. And about 30 seconds after that Grace was in the bath. Poor baby.


I'm still breastfeeding but we have now switched to soy formula as our back-up (Thanks to the advice of many wonderful ladies). I have an appointment on the 2nd and I'm interested to see what the doctor thinks.

8 comments:

Shannon said...

Poor Grace baby! I'm so glad that you have your mother's instincts...that is no fun for anybody. Soy milk is pretty good, I think. Glad that she is okay.

Julie Markham said...

If it looks like a rash... always trust your instincts. This will not in any way be an isolated incident.

Devrie Pettit said...

That's no fun. Hopefully she grows out of it someday. I bet she does. At least she is still nursing mostly, thats the best for her. Good luck.

Kristina said...

Poor little girl! No fun... but nice to see that your instincts were dead on :)

Angela and Mike said...

Oh no, poor baby! Well, if little Grace ends up having some allergy issues, my sister Hannah would be a good person to talk to as her little Aaron is allergic to milk, cheese and a ton of things. Not trying to freak you out, just saying that she could be a good resource. Maybe milk based formula doesn't relate to real food though...I don't know.

So sorry!!!

Jamie said...

poor baby girl! i'm so sorry this happened to you guys again! no fun! and thanks for the compliment on my blog header. i kinda like it too! : )

Stephanie said...

Casen is 15 months and can tolerate milk products now, but he still can't handle milk formula. I guess we're stuck with soy. Be forewarned, soy burbs are stinky :)

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Anna had hivey rash reactions like Grace's a lot when she was younger. We talked with our doctor about it and she gave some helpful advice.

First to steer clear from all common allergens for the first year of life.

Second, to be aware of how reactions to foods work. If she's eaten something she's sensitive to, she'll get a reddish rash (possibly with hives) around her mouth, chin and throat. Her diaper area will probably be rashy, too. You can wash the area around her mouth gently with water to help soothe and clear away any food residue. Then of course you just don't give her that food anymore.

:( This is sad! Poor Gracie. I hope soy works for now and your doctor can help you out. Good luck.

(And if it makes you feel any better, Anna grew out of it just like most babies do!)