Monday, April 23, 2012

Today I Saw My Baby

I have tried to write this blog post all day. Somehow, whichever words I chose to use didn't seem to do this morning justice. I had a sonogram scheduled. Standard check ups and measurements, and probably one last "look" before Baby Boy is born. I was excited, as per usual.

This morning my wonderful friend and neighbor told me to drop Grace off at her place despite the super early hour. Then Aaron told me that he was going to join me for my appointment. Little things that make big differences.

This sonogram wasn't all business like the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. The ultrasound tech took a few measurements and hovered for longer periods on the "cute" and fascinating things like watching him kick his feet or cover his face with his hands. We saw a profile shot, and a shot of his feet (which are definitely snug underneath my ribs on the right side). She measured his head, torso, and leg to get an approximate measurement of his weight (3lbs 4oz). 

Then she switched the sonogram to 3D mode. Did you know that standard in-office machines do 3D? I didn't. I thought you had to go to a place in the mall and pay a big chunk of money just to see things in 3D. But all of the sudden there was my son's face, right there on the screen. I was floored. His chin rested on his chest and his little cheeks sagged just so, and he was sticking his little lips out.

He pursed his lips sticking them out further. Lips that I will kiss for as long as he'll let me for years to come. Cheeks I'll munch on and wipe tears from. And a nose that I swear, looks just like Grace's. It was right there on a screen and I was looking at my 3lb 4oz son, 10 weeks before I should be able to. It was unreal. I kept looking at Aaron and saying "Can you believe this?!"
And if I wasn't already on Cloud 9 his cheeks suddenly pulled upward and he smirked ever so slightly. A sure fire reflex or muscle twitch, but who even cares. He smirked, I saw it, and better yet the technician got a picture of it. I soaked it in and swooned and made sure to double check 400 times with Aaron, "Did you see that?!"I think I'm still swooning.
I'm in love, smitten with this little thing that usually wakes up to party at 11:30pm. Today I desperately wished it was July and that I was looking directly into his face and cuddling his little body in my arms. His pictures are on hanging on the fridge and I find myself stopping just to stare at them. Grace and I sat down to look at them. "Grace, this is your baby brother." "Oh, baby brother" And then we pointed out his eyes, and nose, and mouth. She probably still doesn't understand but she will soon enough.

It was an amazing morning. I was giddy. Can you believe that little face and body are somehow crammed into this belly?
30 weeks
We are so so grateful that everything with this little man is growing and progressing well. And today I am grateful for 3D technology.

Today I saw my son.

Is is July yet?

3 comments:

Christine said...

Oh my heck that is awesome! Such a adorable little face! I love medical technology. :)

Diana said...

When you first said something about no words doing this morning justice, I got really nervous like something was wrong. SO glad that baby boy is healthy and he's beautiful! I can't believe how clear those pictures are. It seems like some 3D pictures are a little muddled or that there's lots of "junk" around, but he looks perfect Kara! I am so excited, and yes...I think he will look JUST like Gracie! Yay! Can't wait to see him. And I agree, I miss you and we need another reunion like NOW!

Amanda said...

1. I definitely still read your blog ;)
2. This really makes me smile!!