Monday, March 17, 2008

Cafe Rio at Home

A while ago i came across a blog that had the recipes for how to make salads at Cafe Rio. Aaron came home the other day with the brilliant idea that we should try to make our very own cafe Rio salads instead of actually going there. We went to Wal-Mart and got the various ingredients, came home, and got to cookin. We started with making tortillas and while those sat (with a cool damp towel) we made the Cilantro Tomatillo Ranch salad dressing. Then we rolled out the tortilla dough and started cooking them (and apparently i tried to look as awkward holding a tortilla as i possibly could. Also note that i'm wearing the same sweatshirt as in the previous post. I promise i have other clothes)
The finished product!!! I was amazed at how well the salads turned out. They tasted a little bit different and next time we're going to put less cilantro in the salad dressing, but they still tasted SOOOOOOOOOO good.
These recipes will definitely come in handy when we're in california and have no access to a cafe rio.

10 comments:

Diana said...

So Kara, we just recently did this also. We didn't make our own tortillas, I bet that would be better, we just bought the uncooked ones at costco. But, we did make the "cafe rio pork" which totally tasted real and authentic, I found it on a recipe blog also!

Ashby said...

YUM! I need to make that again. I am having serious Cafe Rio withdrawls. It's been exactly 3 months since my last Cafe Rio Salad, and it may be 3 more until I get one. SAD!

Tiffany said...

Where is this site that you got the recipe from?!?

Mema of 5 said...

For whatever reason I can't seem to post on ANYONES' blog. I write my comments and then they disappear into cyberspace. I'm impressed that you are cooking Cafe Rio dishes. We'll have to have you cook it for us this summer. But, leave the cilantro out completely. That stuff is evil and overwhelms every single dish it is in.

grace said...

Love the homemade Rio!! Made your own tortillas?? Who can do that? I'm totally impressed.
So, lunch...soon please!

Leandra said...

Love it. Looks fun.... not to mention delicious.

Ashby said...

PS - Time for a new post!

Chelsea said...

Kara my love... its time for something new!

The Coons Family said...

uh.. we are now in april which means NEW POST

Rachel said...

I am worried about you. First, a couple week absence from the bloggernacle and then I don't see you at the temple on Friday. I think I just might be going crazy!