Friday, May 6, 2011

The Move

We survived our move. I'm learning quickly that no matter how much mental, emotional, and physical effort you put into making your move stress free, it will in no way actually be stress free. Thankfully we had some help hefting our heavy stuff down one flight of stairs and up two flights of stairs (our new place is on the third floor). From that point on it was packing our cars and making at least 50 trips up and down those stairs. Our thighs were a burnin' and despite jello-y legs, we managed to get it all done by Sunday. My sister watched Grace ALL DAY LONG for us on Saturday, (insert me giving her a medal of honor here), which severely cut back on the amount of neglect Grace would have felt otherwise. 


In all the times that we have moved since our wedding day, we have never broken a glass or a dish. Unfortunately, during this short move we had our first casualty. I barely nicked the side of this plate with another plate and it broke right in two. Bummer.


On Sunday, between the last few car trips, we celebrated Easter. Baskets in the morning, church in the afternoon, and a family dinner and Easter egg hunt (with my brother-in-law's family-- we love the Fousts) in the evening. I had no idea where my camera was in the mess so there weren't any pictures taken. You'll have to use your imaginations. I can assure you, however, that fun was had by all, especially Grace, and we looked pretty darn good in our Easter get-up.

After a deep clean, walk through, and key turnover at our old place, we started settling into our new apartment and 25 seconds later we packed and left for Oregon for my brother's wedding. I'll probably post more pictures of this event once I can convince my incredibly talented photographer sister to get me the photos she took so I can blog about it (Whatdaya say Ashby?). For now, I have one picture that sums up the weekend:
It was short, jam packed, full of family laughs, smitten newlyweds, and driving all over Portland. We were wiped by the end.  The first morning at home Grace slept until 10:15. Craziness.

We are finally, FINALLY, getting settled in and to say that I love this apartment would be the understatement of the century. I'm borderline obsessed. I walk up those 2 flights of stairs knowing that my buns are slowly turning into steal and I open my door to find heaven on Earth. This apartment has an accent wall that makes our plaid couch look good- it's magical. Did I mention that we are less than a mile from Costco, Chick-fil-A, and the mall? And that WalMart, Grace's pediatrician, and Target (along with everything else you would ever need) are only 1and a half miles away? We even have a room dedicated to laundry, and for the first time in 5 years we now own a washer and dryer.
We are officially adults. Happy Anniversary to us.

Now, you really need to come visit because we actually don't live in the ghetto and we have space for you. Not to mention the buns of steal workout you would receive as your complimentary gift from us. Come visit, you can thank us later.

5 comments:

The Coons Family said...

I can't wait to visit and see your new place. And I love your new washer and dryer!

Shannon said...

coveting that washer and dryer right now. you know, in a happy for you kind of way ;) glad that everything went smoothly (minus a broken dish) and that you are loving your new place. that makes all the difference.

Anonymous said...

WOW Kara Kate - You look like your mother! Have a Happy Mother's Day!

-Berta

Diana said...

Oh man Kara, it seems like since you've moved to Texas it's been non-stop. Two weddings, two moves, Two flights of stairs...that's all I can think of, but that's a lot. Anyway, glad you're loving your new place, I might visit for the buns of steel workout alone...and maybe to covet your washer and dryer a little more!

CarrieM said...

I love the exhausted photo. I kept thinking throughout the wedding weekend, that everything we were putting my children through was happening to your child, only two hours later!