Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Life Canteen

I've come to the conclusion that life is very much like a canteen. Keeping water in it is the key. You have to find a balance between the things in life that pour water in and the things that drain water out.

Lets just say that my canteen was running a little low the past couple of months. There were only so many kicks in the pantaloons that I could take before I broke. I was even considering a steady diet of Blue Bell ice cream and m&m's for breakfast lunch and dinner just to make me feel better. Emotional eating at its best ladies and gents. As my canteen reached the "needs more water" point, a silent beacon must have gone off because the troops swarmed in.

Sisters that use their gym passes to get you and the little one into the pool for a much needed afternoon out.
Friends that show up with Sonic drinks at 8pm just to keep you company.
Trips to Going Bonkers so the little one can play with her cousins.

 She's mastered the one handed ride on the crazy buffalo.

My almost dry canteen was filling up pretty freakin' fast. And if that wasn't enough, I found out that Aaron didn't have to work on the weekend. His team decided to take a weekend off before things got straight crazy. And spending a full workless weekend with your husband (the first in 6 weeks) is pure heaven on earth. We spent every moment (aside from G-towns nap time) with each other and out of the apartment.

We ate out.

 Went to the bookstore
 Bookstores are my personal drug. I love everything about them, and despite having a kindle, I go just to be there.
 Went to the park
 Where I got to witness this
 And this
 And we finished our day by window shopping at the mall.

By the time Sunday rolled around, we were wiped.

But my canteen got so filled with water it started overflowing to the point of "Crap now my shoes are getting all wet." And it is awesome. It's so much nicer to function on a full life canteen. It makes the things and moments in life that will drain the water out not seem so bad anymore (although teething is pushing it). And maybe now I can pick up a water bucket and run it around to those who really need it. Because its no fun to have a full canteen when others are getting dry, right?

Let me know if you need a sonic drink or a trip to the park, and don't worry I'll bring my bucket.

6 comments:

breadncheeseplease.com said...

Do you make trips to las Vegas? My canteen could use a little water :)

Tiffany said...

Oh, I so wish we lived by each other to keep each others canteens full all the time!

Jessica said...

I am with you!! Busy season sucks!! Eric is working for E&Y here in Atlanta and it has been rough. His client is 1.5 hours away from our house so he has been staying in a hotel from monday-friday. Luckily he is changing clients at the end of this week for the rest of busy season so at least he'll be staying at home. But I know how you feel. Its almost over. :) We can do it!!

Kid's Kitchen said...

YAY!!!!!!! I am SO happy for you I can hardly stand it! I loved this post. We had a great weekend of much needed canteen filling too! When is the next time you are coming to UT? We have to see each other!

McKenzie said...

Love Jillian's comment. And Utah too?

amylynne said...

:)