Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Few Gray Hairs

I've decided that the minute i looked at the pregnancy test i took and it said "Pregnant" (thank you ClearBlue digital), something changed. I don't know if some innate "mom" gene kicked in after 22 years of hibernation or if peeing on a stick altered my brain waves, but things became different. I became a worrier.

The first trimester was filled with worry about miscarrying. I've never knocked-on-wood so many times or included that statement at the end of my sentences so much. I used to look at the ultra sound picture and say "just hold on tight baby." I'm pretty sure that Aaron thought i had lost it (and to be honest, i thought i had lost it too). I worried about what i ate, i stopped running at the gym, i avoided the bath tub. I'm pretty sure that i thought if i missed taking my prenatal vitamins the baby would come out with 3 arms.

This trend has followed me into the second trimester as well. The miscarriage thoughts have passed, although now there are other new ways that things could go wrong. Don't even get me started on the fender bender and the kidney infection because i was a blubbering mess. After all that, i thought i had finally gotten a hold of myself thinking that if the baby could survive two trips to the hospital then she was in it for the long haul. Then friday happened. I was blind sighted and my i've-got-it-under-control attitude completely failed.

Towards the end of work on Friday i realized that i hadn't felt the baby move at all. Normally she "wakes up" when i'm getting ready for the day, but she hadn't on friday and i couldn't recall anytime that i had felt her move. I tried not to jump to conclusions and concentrated on my belly as i finished up at work and drove home. Nothing, not a kick or punch or anything. Trying to keep my cool i called aaron and told him. Some time went by and still nothing. I called my mom and completely lost my cool. She told me not to worry and to lay day and move my belly around to see if that would get the baby to move or poke me back. My mom talked to my sister and she said to drink something sugary to get the baby to be more active and to lay down and continue prodding my belly. I ran to my fridge and found this gem sitting there:

I poured a glass and downed it. I laid on the couch and poked, prodded, and moved positions a thousand times. Aaron called to check up on me every couple of minutes, and give me advice for things that i could do (that he had looked up on the internet). I cried and thought the worst (OF COURSE). About 30 minutes went by with a few movements that i couldn't tell if they were gas bubbles or the baby, and then the mango nectar hit. That girl went NUTS. i have never loved getting kicked so much in my life. But boy was that dramatic. I was dramatic. Looking back i'm kind of embarrassed for myself. Aaron told me later that day that this little girl was giving him gray hairs already and she's just a fetus.

Is this what parenthood is? Is pregnancy your worrying initiation? I hope it lets up a bit or i might be going gray in my twenties.

7 comments:

DoubravaFam said...

Oh man, I understand...sorry to say it's probably never going to end though. For probably the first six weeks of Colin's life I was terrified of SIDS. When I was up with him during the night, which was pretty much the whole night every night because the boy did not sleep, I would just worry about it and stare at him and cry because I was so terrified something was going to happen...Being a mom will do crazy things to your horomones! But it is absolutely the most wonderful miracle and blessing and will change your life forever!! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!!

Jamie said...

it seems like you have been through a lot lately girl! that's scary, i'm sorry. but, to tell you the truth...i don't really think the worries ever go away. go look on my blog and see the pics of my little 1 & 1/2 year old on roller coasters at six flags...i'm pretty sure i got a few grey hairs in just a few hours!

Alicia said...

Don't worry. Jonathan is 13 months and sometimes I will still check on him when he's sleeping to make sure he's breathing. You never stop worrying. :)

Gooch Family said...

Yea it's so hard not to worry until they come out! Of course then there is still worry but at least you are able to hold them and care for them. Another thing that would get Bella to move when she was in my tummy was to drink ice cold water. That seemed to work every time or to just lie down still.

Kinzie Sue said...

I think when you become a mother, worry becomes attached at the hip. You will find yourself going in to check on your baby because you heard something... or because you didn't hear anything. You will worry about a runny nose, and cutting their nails... don't fret, it's better to slightly worry than to not care at all. You're doing great and you are going to be an amazing momma!! (P.S. The sugary drink thing seems to work every time- keep some on hand!)

Chelsea said...

oh man. i think a good anxiety medication might be an order sooner that later. j/k. you'll be fine im sure! good luck!

Diana said...

Seriously, I knew I was a worrier but not until Ella came into the picture did I have no doubts that I AM A WORRIER. As I said before, I couldn't even sleep the first night I was so worried something would happen. Good job with the juice, I think I had to do that a couple times too . . . you never know, right?!?!