Sunday, May 12, 2013

On Traveling, Moving, and Mother's Day

In the family of Barnard this month, and this summer, are going to be one for the record books. There is a lot going on. After mentioning our upcoming events and activities to my friends, I have heard multiple times, "You need to write this all down for me so I know what is going on and when you are going to be here."

We celebrated our 7th anniversary on Sunday, following Aaron's finals week. On Tuesday Aaron packed up at left for South America (Brazil and Argentina specifically) with his school's Global Leadership program.


Saying goodbye to him was really hard for me. We have been separated, but never in different countries. It was doubly hard seeing as he was going to be gone the two weeks leading up to the day we move (we're just moving down the street into a house). Knowing this was going to be the case I basically begged my Mom to fly down and help me. Something to the effect of, "Pleeeeeasssssseeee Mom, I neeeeeeeeeeeed you!" And since my parents are amazing, they rearranged their schedules so she could be here.

It just so happened that her stay overlapped with Mother's day. I haven't celebrated Mother's Day with her in years and I was so excited to actually be with her on this special day. Today, flowers were in order. Although there was little surprise in the matter since she had to open the door for me while I was bringing the groceries in, flowers in hand. But, I hope she still felt special.
 We dropped Christian of with a friend of mine and us three girls headed out to get our nails done
After naps for the kiddos (and for me apparently), we drove out to Costa Vida for our Mother's Day dinner.

We had a blast spoiling Mema, or Meah as Grace calls her, today. I am so grateful for this woman and all that she has done and provided for me. My kids are so lucky to have her as a grandmother.
I also want to acknowledge my mother-in-law as well. On Aaron's birthday I sent her a text thanking her for having Aaron. Everything that she did to teach, and love, and raise Aaron has made him the incredible husband and father he is today, and I am so so thankful for that. She too loves my kids fierce, and they are so lucky to have her as well.
If having a wonderful Mom and mother-in-law wasn't enough, I get to celebrate the two wee babes that made me a mother. Welcoming Grace and Christian changed me. They are both so different, and have altered the way I view the world and have enriched the things I know about love.
The moments I first saw their faces are engrained in my memory. I was made for these babies and they were made for me. The lessons they have taught me about love and life have made me a better person, have forced me to stretch to my limits, and then some. I love them with every fiber of my being and I am so grateful for them.
I am a lucky girl as I think about and celebrate this holiday.

Now, if I could just pack and move and have the process be stress free.....

No comments: