Monday, February 8, 2010

Stormy Weather

While I was running this morning I thought it was odd that I could run without needing gloves or a hat at 7am in February. Meanwhile, my family living in Northern Virginia is practically trapped inside their house due to all of the snow storms that have hit the area. Coastal differences? I think so.

My mom has been keeping me updated with pictures and weather reports for the area. I was so surprised by some of the pictures I felt the need to share them

This is a main road by our house with my sister standing in the middle of the intersection. People in Virginia basically shut down when there is snow. With the amount that they're getting now, they should be out for weeks :)
My cute parents.
Apparently, the outdoor table made its very own snow cave. Look at the amount of snow piled up.

There is another storm warning for the area with a possible accumulation of 10 to 20 inches. I'm currently sending warm California thoughts to the East Coast... maybe you should too.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

That is crazy! My brother and his family just moved to Virginia last month and they showed us some pictures like this as well. I kind of wish I was there to see it! It's probably not so good for a lot of reasons, but it's always kind of fun when a huge dump like that comes! His wife is due to have a baby any day now, though, so she was rather glad that she didn't go into labor when you practically couldn't drive anywhere..

Julie Markham said...

I'll take their snow!

Angela and Mike said...

Oh I just love it...seriously, school is ALREADY been cancelled for the week. Wouldn't that have been the best ever? Nothing was better than school getting cancelled! That is a STINKIN lot of snow though. and 10-20 more inches? Yikes.

McKenzie said...

Wow. I can't believe it! My old high school has had school canceled for a whole week--already! With more snow, you're right, they'll be out for weeks! This is nuts--they've gotten 10x as much snow as Utah!

Anonymous said...

It was an awesome storm, and we're bracing for more. Even if the roads do get clear, the school parking lots haven't even been touched yet. We got an email from my principal saying that we aren't even allowed to *try* to get into the building, and even if we tried, there would be nowhere to put our car when we got there.

is that rte. 123 in the picture? 123 is really bad down in Woodbridge, too. What would normally be 3 lanes of road only has one available (yet slushy) lane. Our house is on a big hill, and we can always tell when the temperature has dipped below freezing again because that is when we hear the revving engines of stuck cars on the hill. Build some momentum, people! We're currently praying that our Thursday flight (to a friend's wedding in MN) doesn't get canceled, but the chances are looking grim.

Wow. That was a novel.

Mema of 5 said...

Thanks for posting about our plight here in Virginia. Keep sending your warm thoughts our way. Besides the snow tonight and tomorrow, the ten day forecast is calling for snow next Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. I'm not sure there is enough Diet Coke and M&M's to get me through this!

The Mostess said...

I miss snow like this!!

But I'm glad I got to run around town today without a jacket. :)

Rachel said...

p.s. I think your mom and my mom would be really good friends...totally something my mom would say!