Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sick of It

Within me there is some excuse as to why I'm not blogging. Some reason along the lines of "too busy" "Aaron out of town" and "lack of pictures." My thoughts, however, can't formulate into words, into sentences, because my ear is filled with fluid and ringing like a siren. The only thought I have is "I'm so over this."

At the wedding Grace had her second ear infection, that ruptured, followed shortly by her getting the stomach flu that ran rampant through the family. As Aaron and I nursed upset stomachs and nausea we found our footing and then I got strep throat. Days spent on the couch at my sister's house in pure misery while Aaron was in Philadelphia. As the swelling in my throat went down and my sanity levels started to rise (bless my sister for how incredible she was). I noticed that Grace and I weren't really at the top of our game. Fevers crept back, stuffy/runny noses, exhaustion. I was in complete denial until I snapped this picture. Taken for the sole purpose to get Grace to smile. This was all I got. Red watery eyes, tired baby. We were sick, again. Pretending not to be so wouldn't make us better.
Does this sound like a trend to anyone else? Someone in our little family has been sick almost everyday that we have lived here. In the past 3 and 1/2 months we have had more health issues than the entire time we lived in California. Its like we're a donor kidney, transplanted into the body of Texas, and no matter how much we try, the body is rejecting us, attacking us. However, we have no plans of moving anytime soon, and I would greatly appreciate it if the body would just leave us alone and let us get healthy again.

I don't want sickness to be the biggest news in our lives. I want to bask in the 75 degree weather, last longer than 25 minutes at church, and not have a super close relationship to everyone that works at CVS. Is there something I'm missing? Tricks I should be trying? 

With all of the pity parties and illness festivals we've been throwing around here, I really haven't taken too many pictures. I wish I took my camera to my sister's house to document just how amazing she was. She took care of me with strep, her son with the stomach flu, Grace, Carly, her new house, and new husband all at the same time. Wonder woman, I'm telling you. But, I did manage to get a picture of the biggest blueberry I've ever seen.
I'm off to blow my nose and take a nap.

13 comments:

Julie Markham said...

Hope you feel better soon. Summer will come and kill all your bugs.

Jack's Mama said...

Sisters are the best comfort! Feel better soon!

Diana said...

You should probably just move here! Boo for being sick, poor Gracie looks so sad and being a sick parent is the worst so boo for you. I'm crossing my fingers that you will get better because seriously someone should be enjoying that 75 degree weather and we know it's not me!

amylynne said...

Awwww, MAN!! I'm so sorry y'all are sick AGAIN! Get better soon. We want you to come back over and play soon. :)

Lauren said...

Oh Kara,
We are just like that in our house right now, only we are in Philly where 32 degrees is considered BALMY! I was blaming it on the weather, but the truth is, I just think that this year is an extremely sick one (as I write this with a headache, fever and watery eyes myself). Keep hydrated, take your vitamins and be thankful that spring is just around the corner!!!
-Lauren (Eley) Grossman

Angela and Mike said...

Oh Kara I'm so sorry, you guys have had one thing after another! Hopefully this just means you guys have gotten out ALL the sickness for the next few years and will all just be perfectly healthy. and, ear infections are NO fun. I so craaazzzyyy when Colton has them, constant whining and no way to help. I'm sorry girl!

Mema of 5 said...

That blueberry was ginormous! Almost as big as your kidney stone (which evidently was probably caused by a blueberry). Miss Grace does look sick:( I hope you two can snap out of it and feel better and STAY better!

Shannon said...

I love that even though you're sick as a dog, you still come up with metaphors that blow me away..."like we are a transplant organ and Texas is rejecting us". Brilliant. My friend, Mary, has a theory that the germs on the west coast and the east coast are totally different, and so when you travel across country, your immune system isn't used to those germs and you'll catch everything. Could be true with west coast and the southern states, too. And just think how bullet proof your immune system will be for next year. It's a small price to pay, really (;) ).

Russell, Aimee and Savannah said...

Sad :( Not trying to freak you out but has your apartment been tested for any kind of mold! I know so many families who have lived in apartments where mold damage can just be painted over and then they are always sick with something! This is what Russelss company fixes all the time! Just a heads up if the problems continue!

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Blah! That stinks. I'm sorry. But your camera makes even sicky Gracie look amazing. Maybe you should use a bad camera to make the general lack of wellness look more true to life. ;)

I just read your post about Stacey and Matt-- wow! Stacey looked so beautiful and that is so great for her! And congratulations to Matt! I'd love to hear more about both at some point. But for now, feel better!

The Zangers said...

oh no, hang in there! I know that we went through a period of time where Blake was sick for months. It does get better. Maybe you just hae to get used to those new germs in Texas.

We think about you guys often - hope it gets better and you can get out there and enjoy life soon. :)

xo

Connie said...

I'm so sorry! When we moved back to TX we were sick for about 6 months straight! It must be something in the water, but now, we've been pretty healthy. Hang in there!

Ashby said...

Oh man! I didn't realize you guys were still sick. Poor thing! Hope you are feeling better now!