Wednesday, April 16, 2008

School

Hey, do you remember me? I used to write posts on my blog all the time. The past month or so, not so much, but i hope that you will accept me once again onto your screens and into your hearts. Some of you have asked if i'm still alive, which would be yes i am, but there were days that i felt like i wouldn't survive. I never knew that four classes could get so busy so fast. The beginning of the semester was a freakin cake-walk compared to everything that has been going on lately. I remember reading books for fun because i had so much time on my hands. In March i devised the brilliant plan of scheduling assignments into my week that weren't due right then and there but would eventually be due. So everyday i had an assignment and this was supposed to keep the end of my semester pretty relaxed. Boy was i wrong. There are always little things that come up, and things that you thought would be easy to do but ended up being absolutely insane. This is why lately i have been feeling like this:Most of my time during the month of March and into April has been spent working on a research project for my Sociology of Work and Occupations class. It is a 10-15 page research paper that if you worked in a group you would have to make a study and actually do the research. I figured that since i hate reading research articles that i would prefer to work on the actual research itself, so while the rest of our group worked on the front half of our paper, Brad, my fellow researcher, and i worked on data collection. To make a long story short, i have never spent so much time in the sociology lab (it turned out to be about 30 hours total) and i have never felt so confused in my entire life. We had about a month to do the research and put it into our paper along with graphs etc so we could make a poster for the Mary Lou Fulton Conference on April 4th. After some serious computer issues our poster and research for the conference was submitted.

At the conference we had to stand by our poster and explain to the judges and random passersby what our study was all about. We got a few characters that asked questions, and a few people trying to challenge what our findings were saying, but it turned out just fine. We got to attend a free lunch (which is what i was most excited about), and they announced the winners. There were three winners for every discipline in the School of Family, Home, and Social Science (Economics, psychology, sociology etc). As they were saying the winners for Sociology they began saying the names of the members of our group. I almost fell over due to complete and utter shock. We won 3rd Place!!!!! I know that third place isn't as good as first place, but you have no idea how proud i am of myself. I never thought i was academic by any stretch of the imagination but because our study involved a regression analysis of the data that Brad and i compiled we stood out from other groups. I know that i'm totally bragging right now, but its only because i never thought i was very good at the whole school thing. Here i am standing next to our poster:Me and Ally by the poster looking sexy.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

looking good. those posters remind me of bio100. good times.

Rachel said...

Wow look at you being all school-ish! Dr. Gordon would be proud...At least you're DONE now!! Well, with classes at least!

Ashby said...

There you are! I was wondering if I still had another sister!