Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Few Crazy Happenings

There have been two things that have happened lately that i find shocking. The first and most obvious one is the fact that it has been SNOWING in Utah. Wait a minute, i thought it was the middle of april. What happened to spring blossoms and warmer temperatures? What about my visions of summer coming out of hibernation from the winter that seemed never ending? These dreams have been shattered this week. I can handle rain. April showers bring May flowers. This doesn't mean snow showers. Snow showers keep May flowers in the ground. Today i wore shorts and flip flops to class and i was having great thoughts of finally getting to experience one of the seasons that i love the most, Spring. I came home and took a long and much needed nap (I was up until about 2am doing homework.. see previous post). When i woke up i seemed to have traveled back in time. When i fell asleep it was April and when i woke up it was January. I felt like i was on a terrible episode of the Twilight Zone... it was SNOWING yet again the same day i had dusted off my flip flops. UGH!! Utah owes every person living here a really nice spring and summer that lasts for a very very very long time.
The second shocker of the semester is Aaron's law class up at the U. In order to major in Accounting you have to take a business law class. Aaron's class was extremely strange because he would work his butt off in the class and get about 30% of the points that the assignment was worth. The weirdest part though is that his groups 30% was the highest grade in the class and some people didn't even get points. All of his assignments turned out this way and Aaron would freak out because he had no idea if he was going to completely fail the class or get an A in the class. Plus, the teacher told the class that their grade is only slightly based off of their assignments and more heavily based off of how hard the teacher thought they were working. In essence the teacher would just pick what their grade should be. Poor Aaron was always so stressed out about this class. At one point someone in the class sent out an email saying that all the members of the class should go visit the Dean of the business school to complain about their class. Aaron and i thought that was a stupid idea because students can complain and complain about a class and the school normally never does anything about it. Two weeks ago aaron went to his law class. The night before he had stayed up to the wee hours of the morning compiling yet another assignment for this ridiculous class, 140 pages that probably would get him only a small percentage of the points. As he is sitting in class ready to turn in his homework, the teacher walks in and says "The class is canceled. We're not collecting anymore assignments, the class is officially over. Everyone gets a B but if you feel that you deserve an A you can come petition to me during my office hours." WHAT?!?! Aaron came home completely shocked and not quite sure what had happened. I have never in my life heard of a class being canceled in the middle of the semester. I also never thought that the school of business would side with the students rather than the teachers. That must have been some good complaining they were doing!! So Aaron's work load just got a lot lighter and he has one less final to take. Seriously though, how crazy is that?

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I second that on the snow. I wore a summer skirt and short sleeve shirt yesterday to school and when I got out of my last class it was bitter cold and snowing. Wait, what?! I saw in the forecast that it was supposed to get cold the next day, but it never mentioned anything about snow! Lame. And that IS so crazy about Aaron's class! I had a shocker when the testing center lost one of our tests a couple weeks ago and our teacher being unusually generous decided to give us all 100's for it!! Strange things are afoot in our universities...

Alicia said...

we've made our blog private...you will need to create a wordpress username and the email me the username to be able to see it...just let me know: aliciahinrichs@gmail.com

Gooch Family said...

Wow! I cannot believe it snowed! And that is insane about Aaron's class. That usually happens as often as...I see angels. Lucky!!

Leandra said...

Glad to see you back in the blogging world. We were worried about you for a few months...

Crazyness about Aaron's cancellations of classes. I wonder if I can arrange that for my next two semesters...

Ashby said...

Wow, cancelled?! And the worst part is that he worked his butt off for that assignment! At least he doesn't have to take the final. Maybe that class was preparing people for the real thing in law school.

And may I add that as a wife of a law student.....law school sucks and I would strongly advise anyone against going to it. Go to med school, dental school, business school, or get your masters. Don't go to law school! There are too many lawyers in this world!

Chelsea said...

Burke has one of those super high tech cameras, like Leandras with all of the special lenses. He does all that other stuff in photoshop. It not me, its him. Spending hours and hours.

Chelsea said...

Kara now that you are graduated you should have loads of time to update your blog!
lets hang out.